The Land in Between

When morning comes, I will not wake up. I’ll never take another breath; never feel the warmth of the sun. No one will ever be waiting for me to come home.

Once I left the world of flame and ash, I found myself in this land of light. All around me blankness extends as far as I can see and probably further. Everything in all directions is white; so white, I’m not even sure if it’s a true colour.

I also realize that I am not sitting on the ground like I thought. Instead, I seem to be hovering in the nothingness. There is nothing supported me, yet I am not falling. I’m not moving at all.

I seem to be alone in this new world. I hear nothing, feel nothing, and I don’t see if there is anything –or anyone- hidden in the white. There us is no one here with me, But I don’t feel lonely. I feel drowsy, disoriented, like I just woke from a full night’s sleep.

I have the need to stand. I get the feeling I have been sitting far too long, I can't feel my toes. I slowly start to wiggle the feeling back into my numb limbs so that I can move freely.

I go to stand but there is nowhere to put my feet. I concentrate hard on curling my legs under me. Then once I feel ready, I push up on shaky legs and my arms fly out to either side me to help me stay balanced. It was a strange feeling, to be standing here, on nothing. I was levitating. The thought makes me smile.

“You can fly, you know.”

The voice scares me and I fall over. But I never reach the ground. I continue to hover in space, like there is no gravity in this empty land of white.

I manage to right myself with more ease than the first time. I look up and locate the person who scared me.

A seemingly timeless woman stands before me, she wasn’t there moments ago. Her skin is etched with the wisdom of her years, but her face is still youthful. I cannot even begin to guess her age.

The one thing that surprises me most about this woman, is the pair of majestic wings that stretch out high and wide behind her.

“You have them as well,” she tells me with a kind smile. My eyes go wide and I cautiously move my hand to my back. Soft and silky feathers meet my curious fingers. When I turn my head I see the creamy whiteness of my own two wings.

“Why?” I ask her. My voice is scratchy and soft, unused.

“How else are we supposed to move?” She lifts her hands and spreads them wide, as if to remind me there is no substance here.

“Where…” My voice fails me and I try again. “Where are we?”

“The Land in Between,” she says. “Life is there.” She points to my left. I look, but I see only the white. “And Birth is over there.” She points again, but to my right this time.

“Birth?” I ask.

She smiles, like she knew I would ask. She points to my left, “That’s the life you’ve left; the one you no longer have.” She frowns as she speaks those words. “Birth,” she points to my right, “is where your new life will begin. You’ll be born back into the world you left.”

“Can I…can I see?” I asked looking out to where my life, my old life, was.

“Of Course. Go forwards and think about who you wish to visit.”

I go to walk, but my foot doesn’t hit ground. I realize that there really is only one way to move here.  I squeeze my eyes shut and clench my fists. I focus all my energy on my newly sprouted wings.

Slowly, I move forwards. It’s awkward at first, but I move nonetheless. I don’t go far until I feel I’ve gone far enough.

With my eyes still closed, I concentrate on my mother. When I open my them, I see my mother weeping, my father is comforting her. I can't handle this, I’m not used to seeing them weak.  I quickly imagine my friends instead.