Peter Parker ♡Awkward Genes Pt.3

You had to keep repeating to yourself that this was in fact not a date despite Peter not giving you a straight answer when you made the mistake of assuming it was. However, it was becoming difficult to believe it wasn't when you two kept staring at each other from across the table while eating frozen yogurt. Okay, most of the staring was done by you, but it was completely unintentional. Your eyes would flicker away when he'd glance up at you from his pistachio yogurt. There was no way in hell you were going to let him catch you marveling at the way his eyebrows knitted together or the way his eyelashes brushed at his cheekbones when he blink or maybe how-Holy shit, your crush on Peter was evolving faster than a Pokémon.

How often did this type of thing happen? It sounded like some kind of bad rom-com movie where you were playing the character that happened to fall in love with a total stranger - despite seeing each other around since middle school. Even if this did seem a little cheesy or surreal, talking to Peter now would seem like a splendid idea seeing that he was almost done with his yogurt while you were too busy mulling over all of this in your head. You peered down at your mushy (Favorite Frozen Yogurt Flavor) yogurt. It didn't seem very appetizing now that it was more of a soup than its original intent.

"So, uh, this is great!" you chirped, trying to spend the rest of the ... hang out from ending.

Peter smiled up at you, nodding once. "Yeah, totally. I kinda regret not getting the Cookies 'n' Cream flavor though."

You paused, your eyes lingering on the way he licked the yogurt from his spoon. Funny. He seemed to be enjoying the pistachio one a lot. Cough, cough. Either way, the yogurt wasn't what you were talking about, but you went with the flow. No need to make an ass of yourself when you could prevent it.

"You can get it next time. It won't be going anywhere. Unless it somehow develops feet and scurries out of here before anyone else can pick at its body to eat." You were aware that you'd start rambling on if you didn't stop now, so you chewed at the inside of your cheek before allowing another word to slip out.

"Uh-huh, there's always next time, right?" The corner of his eyes crinkled as he smiled at you.

That smile. It made you think there was a hidden message in his answer. You were a little dumbfounded as you eyed Peter suspiciously. Was he asking you out on another date? Hang out. You meant another hang out.

"...Uh, are you-" you were cut off by the manager of the small yogurt joint gasping loudly.

"Great, just was we need... Another robbery! Paul, mind turning it up?" as if remembering that she had customers, she turned to you two who were currently the only people eating the treat inside. "You kids don't mind, right?"

Your lower lip jutted out at being cut off midsentence. "Kind of-"

"No, it's alright!" answered Peter, forgetting about the conversation going on between you two.

You frowned at him. Was interrupting you going to become a thing now? You grew irritated as Peter's attention was solely on the television. 'Breaking News' read in bold letters across the lower section of the television screen as a story of an armed robbery was in progress at a bank that happened to be some blocks away.

You shared the same exasperated thoughts the manager did while watching this. These things were starting to become a habit around here for some reason. And they picked a pretty God awful time to do so, seeing that there was a freaking guy dressed in spandex calling himself a superhero in town. You grunted and swirled your yogurt inside its cup as the story seized any interest you had.

As everyone was drawn in to the television, your thoughts began to drift off to that night's math homework. Should you work on it tonight or maybe wait until Sunday night? Procrastination always seemed to be the answer, but you had nothing to do right now except think about whether or not to do your homework. You heaved a giant sigh, aiming to get Peter's attention. Instead, you received the side of his head as he kept looking off to the television. Maybe if you just splattered some of your yogurt onto his cheek...

The blaring cries of police sirens snapped you out of your trance. It seemed to appear that the robbery had now turned into a high speed chase on this very street.

"Holy shit!" you breathed, aware of Peter coming to his feet in a flash. He got up so quickly he almost knocked the table over. As you steadied your cup of melted yogurt, Peter was gathering his backpack and throwing away his own yogurt.

You quickly stood up and did the same, not knowing what the hell had gotten into him. Why was he overreacting? Or were you the one that was just underreacting? He practically burst out the entrance, your figure quickly following after him.

By now, you two seemed to be running after the cops and criminals. For a smart kid, Peter wasn't very, well, smart. Wasn't he aware that they must have been blocks away from now? They were in cars for Christ's sake! They had a head start already without having to mention that they weren't abiding to the traffic laws!

"P-Peter!" you cried, trying not to make the wheezing noises too loud. You were after all still trying to make him like you. Making any unattractive noises would for sure turn him off. Then again, he was running at like 100 miles per hour! He was going too fast for you to keep up! And there was no way you were going to admit that you were probably out of shape.

The brunette came to a sudden stop without warning, making you almost bump into him. You bent forward, hands on your knees as you tried to catch your breath. He patted your shoulder out of concern, probably not realizing that you had followed him. Ass.

"(Name)? You okay? Hey, maybe you should head on home. I have some things to do." He almost sounded guilty as he said this.

You swatted his hand away, trying to control your breathing as you straightened yourself out. He really could have said something back at the yogurt place before making you run a whole marathon!

"Some things to do? " you huffed, almost in disbelief. He seemed to be backing away from you, ready to go back to his goose chase. "Does this include chasing after a cop car like a dog?"

Ouch. That last part wasn't meant to come out. But, hey! You were exhausted, pissed, and beginning to feel your stomach churn at the thought of getting ditched after what you thought could have been a date. You had your head up in the clouds for far too long that the thought of Peter just inviting you for yogurt as an apology didn't cross your mind . What kind of apology was this?! HE DIDN'T EVEN PAY FOR YOUR YOGURT! Then again, you insisted on paying your own. Something along the lines of "I'm an independent woman that don't need no man," being your excuse to pay for your own treat.

He seemed shocked at your answer, but before he could muster up an excuse for himself, you were already readjusting your backpack and heading the opposite direction. To say the least, Peter had royally fucked up and he was aware of it.

"I didn't mean-" he began. "(Name)!"

"You should really leave the whole superhero business to Spider-Man, Peter." You grumbled.

As far as you knew, Peter wouldn't have been able to catch what you said. But of course, you weren't really in on the whole thing about Peter being Spider-Man. Oh, yeah and the heightened sense of hearing. Yeah, then there's that.