Chapter 3 - Catalyst

Start from the beginning

            “Nope,” Ford shook his head, his mind instantly going to Mr. Lenoir.

            “What about Angela? All the guys think she is pretty.” Audrey turned to look at her reflection in the mirror.  “She’s as dumb as a rock though.”

            “She once asked me if we were in North or South America.” Ford laughed.

            Still looking at her reflection, Audrey moved some of her auburn hair out of the way, “What do you think about me?”

            “You’re my friend,” Ford answered.

            “So,” Audrey spun around annoyed. “Do you not think I’m attractive Ford?”

            “Course I do,” Ford gulped feeling like he was moving into uncharted waters.

            “Then why not?” Audrey stood up and stared at Ford, “In case you haven’t noticed Ford Jones – I, I… love you.”

            “Audrey…” Ford stared at his friend not sure how to answer without hurting her feelings.

            “I knew you wouldn’t,” Audrey sniffled and started to cry. “It’s cause I don’t look like Angela, sorry my head isn’t as empty as hers!”

            “Audrey I’m gay!” Ford let out and then closed his eyes. He never felt so vulnerable.

            Audrey stared at him her mouth open. She stood up and walked over to her bedroom door. “Leave,” she ordered.

            “Please don’t do this.” Ford answered. He stared at Audrey’s face as he cheeks started to glisten with the tears she couldn’t hold in. Standing up, Ford walked to the door and put a hand on Audrey’s shoulder. She shrugged it off and looked away. It broke his heart but Ford couldn’t lie to his friend. So he left.

            Audrey shut the door behind him and put her back to the door sliding to the ground crying.

***

            Worried about his friend, Ford parked his car in his driveway and walked inside the house. He wanted to call Audrey and tell her it was okay. Part of him worried that she would tell the whole school. Moving into the kitchen his dad had gotten up and was reading the paper in his flannel pajamas and night robe.

            “Hey dad,” Ford smiled opening the fridge. His dad didn’t respond and Ford turned to see his father gripping his heart.  “Dad!”  Ford ran to his dad right as his father hit the ground, “Daddy!”

            Lori stepped into the room her pumps clicking against the floor and a finger pointed at Roger, “It’s hard to talk when your heart is frozen.”

            “Let him go!” Ford shouted at the woman as he held his squirming father on the ground.

            “You had your chance…” Lori smirked.  Ford threw out his hand and a large gust of wind smashed Lori into the wall knocking down the ‘Home Sweet Home’ sign.  She winced but it hardly phased her, “I see, you’ve been practicing. Good boy.” Lori held out her hand and a blast of ice shot Ford into the corner of the kitchen. “Meet me on your school’s football field ready to go, or I freeze this whole city.” Lori left the kitchen.

            Standing up and dusting off the frost Ford rushed to Roger’s side, “Dad,” Ford shook his father. “Please get up, please.” There was no response and his father felt cold. Ford leapt up and grabbed the phone dialing 9-1-1. “Hello, yeah my dad he, he had a heart attack.” He listened for a second then rushed to his father. Putting his hands on his dad’s chest he started performing CPR.