Chapter 17

Surni strode through the passageways to talk to Cory's parents, not that she was actually going to change their minds. She turned a corner and was knocked into the wall when Brad and she collided.
  "Excuse Me." Brad said over his shoulder not even recognizing Surni when he hit her.
  "Brad." Surni called out turning to catch up to him. She jogged then slowed as she pulled up to him then spoke "Brad, this is important. I need to talk to you about Cory."
  Brad stopped dead in his tracks. "What are you? His messenger service?" His words laced with sarcasm.
  "I'm his friend as well as his healer," Surni retorted "and as his healer I need to talk to you and Sally, immediately! Come with me!!" The last being more of an order than request. Being a healer gave her that authority, although she rarely used it. Corys mental state required her to talk to those who cared about him to watch him closely. Since it was her first time using it with Terrans she wasn't sure how Brad would react.
  "Let's go then." Brad said as he turned around and started walking back to his cabin.
  They had just walked in when Sally came out of the bathroom looking worried.
  "Krys just contacted me." She said "Cory had a flashback from when he got shot down. Krys said he was out of it for more than an hour. Is this true?" The last directed at Surni.
  Surni nodded in reply as she said "That's why I was coming to see you. If this gets much worse I would have no choice but to relieve him of duty. Do you have any ideas that could help?"
  "Just counseling." Brad said " If there are others with the problem, talking about it helps."
  "For trouble sleeping I have some of the medication I brought with." Sally offered.
  "The meds at night will help him sleep." Surni replied "This counseling you talk about, what does it consist of?"
  "People who have a difficult time after a traumatic experience talk to each other," Brad said "this helps them cope with the condition."
  "I could put together a group for that." Surni said.
  "Let's take Cory some sleep aid now, he can use it tonight." Sally said to Brad.
  Saying goodbye to Surni the couple ushered the healer out and headed to Cory's cabin to give him their support.
_____________________________

  "Talk to me, Cory." Krystal pleaded "I want to help you."
  Cory looked up at her and saw the fear in her eyes. He wanted to tell her but didn't know where to start. He shook his head sadly as he shrugged.
  "I don't know what to do." Cory said "I thought it was over but...this won't get out of my head. Every time I think it's gone this happens. I get scared all over again."
  "Is that why you want your parents off the Vengeance?" Krys asked "Because you're scared?"
  "No! Not at all!" Cory exclaimed "I want them safe because of the mission. It's too risky and..."
  The knocking on the cabin door interrupted them. When Cory opened it he saw his parents standing there looking concerned. Sally grabbed him in a tight hug as Brad patted his shoulder.
  "Surni came and told us what happened." Brad whispered to Krystal " We came to see if we could help."
  "Cory is going to go ballistic when he sees Surni again." Krystal whispered back "How can you help?" Krys asked "I don't know how to help him and it's breaking my heart. He won't talk to me."
  "We brought something to help him sleep." Brad said "I know what's bothering him." I've been there although I never told him about it. Maybe if I had this might not have happened. "
  "You can't blame yourself, Brad." Sally said softly "His trouble started after he had been shot down and hunted by those vermin. I'd be having nightmares and flashbacks too."
  "How do we help him though?" Krys questioned looking at the bathroom.
  Not a second later Cory walked out looking better with the sweat showered off and in a clean uniform. He started when he saw his parents sitting on the couch.
  "What are you back here for?" He asked "I thought you were going to talk to the Commander?"
  "We were," his mom replied "then Surni came and told us what had happened."
  "She will pay for this." Cory threatened "She should've kept quiet."
  "She came as a friend," Brad said "she's worried she might have to relieve you of duty if you can't beat the PTSD."
  Cory felt embarrassed by his actions "Alright, I'll let her slide this time. But what are you here for?"
  "I brought you this." Sally said as she pulled out the medication.
  "Geez, Mom," Cory blurted out "why would I want that?"
  "To help you sleep." Sally said as she gave him the baggie filled with marijuana "You know how I feel about irresponsible use but at this point it's medication. It will help with the stress and let you sleep."
  "But..." Cory started to say.
  "No arguments! Do what you're told." Brad snapped "Surni knows what we're doing and will clear you to use it until you're no longer in need of it."
  Krystal took the medication from Sally and asked how to prepare it for him. Sally took Krys to the kitchen area and showed her.
  In the sitting area Brad and Cory faced each other as Brad tried to tell his son his own story of PTSD fueled nightmares after he came home from the middle east. At the time Cory was three years old. All he remembered was being angry at his father for leaving him and his mother. His father never told Cory about the dreams of terror caused by being attacked multiple times by enemy forces. Never told him about the times his patrols had been ambushed be IEDs . Never showed him the scars that covered the back or his legs. Because of this Brad didn't know how to start his explanation. Even after all this time he was embarrassed by it, like it was a weakness. He knew better but still could not admit that he had nightmares to this day.