Chapter 5

T'ilvesh looked at Cory unsure of how to answer. Since Cory hadn't been sleeping well he feared his judgement might be clouded.
"Why would you volunteer ?" the Commander asked him "There are others who are more qualified pilots. Hawk for one."
"Earths' weapon." Cory replied simply as he pointed to himself "It should be used first by a native, me"
"There are other concerns, as well," T'ilvesh stated "such as your lack of sleep. I worry you're judgement might be off..."
"Commander, please," Cory pled "If Surni clears me as fit to fly, will you let me head the flight?"
"ONLY if she clears you," T'ilvesh replied "then I'll think about it."
"That's all I ask." Cory said "I'm going to Surni now, I'll ask her to report directly to you."
T'ilvesh nodded at Cory, letting him know that he was dismissed. Turning, Cory went back to the Vengeance.

______________________________

Cory strode towards the bridge once he landed in the Vengeance's hanger bay. Not only did he want to find Surni, he needed to be with Krystal. When he had first met the beautiful alien, literally bumping into her , he had grabbed her arm to keep her from falling. As soon as he had touched her he felt an electric-like current. As it turned out, that feeling had also been felt by Krystal, he found out later that it signified finding a lifemate with her people. He also found out that it bound them together more deeply than any drug. He needed to be with her, like he was addicted to her. Although this addiction he happy to have. He saw Krystal as soon as he entered the bridge. Sneaking up behind her he put his arms around her and kissed her neck under her ear.
"I missed you." Cory whispered in her ear.
"You haven't been gone long enough." Krystal scoffed .
"Have too," Cory stated petulantly "besides I can't control my heart."
"Says you." Krystal retorted, smiling at him.
"As much as I would love to stay," Cory began "I need to find Surni."
"Bored with me, huh?" Krystal teased "I thought it would take longer than this."
"Bored with you? Never!" Cory said "I need her to clear me for duty. I want to lead the next attack. I need to lead it. For my own sanity!"
"I think she's in the dining hall." Krystal replied "If you hurry, you might catch her."
"You're the best, babe." Cory said as he ran off to find Surni.
Cory did find Surni in the mess hall. Grabbing a sandwich and coffee he made his way over and sat across from her.
"I need you to clear me for flight duty," Cory started the conversation "When will you have time to check me out?"
"After we eat will be okay." Surni said "But why the rush?"
"We're going to use a new weapon and I want to be the one to launch the first one." Cory explained "The Commander won't let me lead the mission unless I'm cleared."
Twenty minutes later Surni had cleared Cory for duty and had reported that to T'ilvesh. Cory went back to the bridge to wait for the Commanders decision. Pacing the deck behind the captains chair, Corys nervousness was apparent to everyone.
"Let's get some coffee." Krystal suggested "We can wait in the ready room."
"I don't need anymore coffee." Cory replied.
"Well I could use some," Krystal insisted "and I'd like some company."
"Alright," Cory said "I'll keep you company but I would rather stay..."
"Shree, when the Commander calls, put him through to the ready room." Krystal ordered as she pushed Cory ahead of her.
"Yes, Ma'am." Shree acknowledged.
Once in the ready room Krystal turned to Cory, watching as he continued to pace.
"You're going to wear a hole in the deck if you keep that up much longer." Krystal joked, trying to lighten Corys mood.
"Sorry." Cory replied "It's just that I need this. Especially since the Ruchkitay have figured out how to stop the programmers from overriding the ships computers."
"I know you want to lead the attack," Krystal stated "but your pacing is disrupting my crew and I need them at their best in case of an aggressive move by the Ruchki's. That's why I brought you in here."
"Alright, I'll go wait in our quarters" Cory said "Could you have Shree direct the Commanders call there, please?"
"Sure..." Krystal started to say when Shree announced T'ilvesh was calling. "guess I don't have to. Go ahead, Commander, Cory's right here."
"Okay," T'ilvesh said "you've got your wish, Cory. You have the flight. Good luck."
"Thank you, Commander." Cory acknowledged "We'll all need that luck."
After signing off Cory turned to Krystal saying "Let me know when the weapons are ready. I'm going to brief the squad."
"I'll think about it." Krystal teased "Bribe me."
Cory smiled as he wrapped her in his arms and kissed her, long and deep. Finally Krystal pulled back and smiled, breathing heavily.
"Nice try," she said "but you'll need to do better than that."
"I have every intention of it," Cory promised "after the mission and you're off duty."
"I'm holding you to that." Krystal responded "Don't go and get yourself hurt or I'll beat you even worse."
"Oooooh, I'm scared." Cory retorted faking a shiver of fear.
"You'd better be." Krystal continued "I'm serious."
"Soooo," Cory asked again "you'll let me know when the weapons are ready then. Right?"
"Oh alright!" Krystal agreed "Just this once and only because you asked so nice."
"Great!" he came back "I knew I could count on you. I'm going to go now before I forget where we are and keep my promise here and now."
Krystal was still laughing when Cory had gone to brief the squad about the mission and the new weapon about to be used.

______________________________

Cory, waiting in the dining area for the rest of the squad members, was smiling from ear to ear as he remembered his conversation with Krystal. At this moment the squad members showed up filing in to get briefed. After getting refreshments for themselves they joined Cory around the table.
"Somebody looks happy." Rufin, a member of a canid based race, stated.
"I do believe you're right." Hawk, an avian based race member, replied.
"The real question is 'why?'." the reptilian based Iggy said.
"True," Iggys in-law Shoure commented looking at Corys grin "although I have an idea why."
"There are two reasons, actually." Cory said " First, I've been cleared for duty. Secondly, after the mission I have a promise to keep."
"Sounds like a plan." Rufe said as he elbowed Iggy, winking.
"OK, OK!" Cory said growing serious "Let's get down to business."