Purge: Book Two of the Universal Conflict Chapter

Cory bolted upright, cold sweat covered him and drenched the sheets he had slept on. Shaking his head trying to clear his mind of his most recent nightmare. It had been six months since he had been shot down on a planet under Ruchkitay control. He. and Shoure had barely survived until help arrived in the form of the mercenary force from Earth.
Being hunted by a race that considered you food was not a walk in the park. He wondered if he should go see Surni, the units healer, to see if she could give him something to sleep. His wife, Krystal, who had lived through an invasion of Ruchkitay on her homeworld of Cinotae, still had nightmares after a decade. Getting up and stripping the sheets off the bed, which he then threw in the reclamator for recycling and headed to the shower to clean the sweat off. The scars of that encounter were physical as well as mental as he looked down at the gouges running from hip to calf. The result of not moving faster and further, a Ruchkitays claws almost pulled him from a tunnel he had scrambled into. Leaving the shower he went to the dispenser and got a uniform.
Twenty minutes later he was dressed and ready to leave. He headed out the door to the mess area for coffee and see if any of the squad was there to talk to. As he walked down the passageway he saw Iggy, a reptilian being and Shoures in-law, Hawk an avian based being and Rufin a canid based being. These three were not only Corys squadmates but his best friends. Calling out, Cory jogged up to them.
"I'm headed for some breakfast," he told them "care to join me?"
"Sure." Rufe said "Just going ourselves."
"Anybody know were Surni is?" Cory asked "I need to see her."
"Still having trouble sleeping?" Hawk inquired.
"Yeah," Cory replied "the memories are bad enough but the nightmares are worse."
"Last I heard was she was with Krys on the bridge." Iggy said as they entered the mess .
"Great," Cory said grabbing his plate and coffee.
Banter ensued during the meal keeping morale elevated. As soon as he was done eating he left for the bridge to try and find Surni.
When he arrived on the bridge he was disappointed to learn she had left. Turning to Krystal, his lifemate, he shook his head at her questioning look letting her know that he hadn't slept well.
"Did Surn tell you where she was going?" Cory asked hopefully.
"Looking for you, actually." Krystal answered "I told her you weren't sleeping well."
"What did she say?" he asked.
"Just that she was going to find you." Krystal replied as she turned to Shree "Have Surni report to my quarters."
Shree sent the message and turned back to Krystal "Surni acknowledges and is reporting as ordered."
"Thanks, Shree." Krystal said watching Cory leave to return to their cabin. She shook her head, hoping Surni could help. They would soon be reclaiming another world and they all needed to be at their best.

______________________________

Cory got to the cabin door as Surni walked up to him in the passageway. Opening the door Cory held it and ushered her in.
"Would you like something to drink?" he asked.
"No thanks." Surni replied "I was told you're not sleeping well. Want to fill me in?"
Cory explained that he was having nightmares about his two days of evading Ruchkitay after he had been shot down six months ago, reliving those days night after night, waking in a cold sweat. Surni was sympathetic but realistic when she told him that he would be having nightmares for the rest of his life but over time they would become less frequent. He certainly hoped that was true but his lack of sleep was taking a toll on him now. Surni was hesitant about giving him a sleeping agent knowing they could become addictive. Both were startled when someone started knocking on the cabin door. Much to Corys surprise his parents, Brad and Sally, stood in front of him waiting to be let in.
"Close your mouth before something flies in." Brad teased "I might know of something that could help."
"You have post traumatic stress." Sally told them "You need help, talking about it helps but you'll need something to help you sleep."
"What is it?" Surni asked, curiously.
"Melatonin." Sally answered "The brain produces the chemical that helps make us feel tired and fall asleep."
"Interesting. Do you have enough for me to research if it is effective for others?" Surni requested.
"Sure do." Sally replied "Come over to our quarters, I have other things you might want to research, as well."
"Thank you, I'll go back with you when you're finished here." Surni said.
"We are." Sally replied, turning to Cory she ordered him to take some of the sleep aid and go to bed.
"In a bit." Cory acknowledged "I want to go see Shoure and see how he's doing. He had a worse time of it than I did."
With that everyone left on their own chores. Surni and Sally headed off towards Sally and Brads while Cory and his Dad headed to the hanger.
"Why are you tagging along?" Cory queried "Don't trust me?"
"No," his Dad answered "I need more hours in fighters to qualify for squadron assignment. I thought I could get a few since you're heading out. You don't mind, do you?"
"Not at all." Cory replied "You fly, I'll instruct."
"Great! Let's get out of here quickly before your mother finds out." Brad urged "She'll have both our behinds nailed to our quarters walls in a second, if she gets to us before we leave."
"And you think she won't when we get back?" Cory questioned.
" 'Better to ask forgiveness afterwards than permission beforehand.' " Brad quoted, smiling.
Five minutes later the two were out of the hanger and flying towards the civilian ship that Shoure's family was assigned to when a fighter flew past going towards the Vengeance.
"Cory, is that you?" Shoures voice came over the comm channel the squad used.
"Sure is, Show." Cory responded "What are you doing out here?"
"Coming to see you." Shoure replied "I've been cleared to return to duty. How are you doing? I heard you've been having some problems."
"Some," Cory informed him "but my Dad is flying today. He needs a few hours for his certification and assignment."
"We have time, so let's play tag." Shoure suggested.
"Sounds like fun." Brad said eagerly.
"Alright, I'll inform Vengeances flight control." Cory stated.
After he had done that and received clearance Brad and Shoure flew for two hours, each trying to target the other and lock weapons. The game was about over when they were called back to the ship. Word had come that their war was going to heat up.