Chapter 2

Cory, Brad and Shoure landed in the hanger and climbed out of their fighters to be met by the rest of the squad, Krystal in the lead.
"We've been called to the Retailator," Krystal stated "T'ilvesh called for a meeting of all command level officers. We leave now."
"You heard the Captain, let's move." Cory urged. With that the group boarded a troop transport and headed out for the meeting the Commander had ordered.
As they approached the command ship they received landing instructions from the Retailators flight control to stand off while a squadron of fighters launched for security patrols.
"Vengeance Shuttle One, your landing path is now clear," the flight control officer said "proceed as instructed."
"Affirmative, control." Krystal replied "Final approach commencing now."
A few minutes later the group was exiting the ship and heading towards the briefing that had been set up in the ships auditorium. On the way they met the leaders of the Terran mercenaries. Greeting them as they joined the procession of officers of the battle ready units.
  "I hear we're going on the offensive" Gen. Hagler said     "Have you heard anything?"
  "That's why we were summoned." Krystal replied.
  "I had hoped as much. My men are getting restless and that is not good for morale." the General stated. Turning to Cory he noticed the dark circles under his eyes "Still not sleeping, huh?"
  "Not well," Cory responded "my Mom brought some melatonin over. I'm going to try some tonight."
  "I hope it helps," Hagler said "but if it doesn't, you come see me. I've been through it before so maybe I can help. I know a few tricks that I use when it flares up again."
  "Any tips that can help would be appreciated." Cory responded "Thanks"
  "Gotta keep the boss from going nuts." the General stated, smiling.
  At this point the group reached the briefing and filed in to take their seats. T'ilvesh saw them and motioned for Cory and Krystal to join him on the stage. Waving to the rest of the group they left them to join the Commander.
No sooner had they gotten close to T'ilvesh than Captain Slei came running up.
"The Ruchkitay have amassed a fleet to try and retake some of the worlds we've reclaimed." he said breathlessly as he pointed to a spot some twenty galaxies further in from where they now were "They've just gone into warp from this position."
"Any idea of where they are headed?" T'ilvesh asked his old friend.
The Captain shook his head, indicating he had no idea "The heading is towards our homeworld though." Slei replied.
"Warn the worlds along the heading, we need to know when and where they exit warp." the Commander ordered turning to the officers sitting in the auditorium "Alright people, we need to make this fast. We were going to try and take the fight to the Ruchkitay. However I have just been informed that they have amassed a fleet and warped out towards worlds we've already reclaimed."
He paused as the officers started to demand action. The room was in an uproar as they all tried to talk over each other and get T'ilveshs attention. Holding up his hands to quiet the noise he tried to get their attention. Seeing this the room quieted down.
"In response to this aggressive move," the Commander started "we have notified all worlds and galactic observers to report as soon as they exit warp."
The announcement ended the briefing. Almost as soon as the talk ended the officers scrambled back to their own ships, filling space with the shuttles used to bring them to the briefing. Anticipation of the upcoming battle put everybody on edge not knowing where they would be sent. All they knew is it would be soon.
Krystal sent the rest of the squad back to the Vengeance to make sure their fighters were ready to fly when needed. She and Cory stayed at the Commanders request.
"I thought you should know that Cinotae and Earth are also on the Ruchkitay heading." T'ilvesh informed them "Hopefully, the observation sentries can detect their exit from warp."
"Except we didn't leave any for the Milky Way," Cory. said "since we thought it was too far away from known Ruchki territory."
"I still think Earth will be safe." Krystal reassured Cory "However, I think we should send observers there... just in case."
T'ilvesh nodded in agreement. He immediately sent orders for that mission to the Starblade.
"A Terran should be our best bet." the Commander stated "General Hagler can assign whomever he thinks is best qualified. Have any Terrans been trained as pilots?"
"All of them can fly fighters," Cory said "and about thirty can fly transports. Anything bigger you need to ask the Captain of the Starblade."
"I know all of the Terran crew members are always trying to learn, whether it's a new language or how our technology works to cook new foods. They're curiosity is boundless."
"That's great," T'ilvesh "that willingness to learn is going to aid our fight and drive the Ruchkitay back where they came from."
"Let's go see General Hagler," the Commander stated "I have to take you back anyway since you sent the group back to ready your fighters for action. We'll stop by the Starblade on the way and get General Haglers opinion of the best crewmen to send back to place the observation buoys around your galaxy... just in case."
"That will relieve some of the stress they feel." Cory said "knowing home is guarded."
Leading the way T'ilvesh headed to the Hanger Bay where they boarded a transport and flew to meet with General Hagler and his staff. The mission to protect Earth needed planning and T'ilvesh wanted Terrans to carry it out.
As the shuttle approached the Starblade Krystal asked ship flight control for landing clearance. Receiving the flight plan the Commander flew to the bay where he landed gracefully.
Exiting the shuttle T'ilvesh approached the officer of the deck "Permission to come aboard."
Taken by surprise the officer saluted "Permission granted, Commander."
"Would you know where General Hagler is?" T'ilvesh asked.
"In the ready room, sir" the officer replied "I'll have someone here to show you the way."
"No need," Cory told him "I know where I'm going."
"OK. I'll leave you here." the man said as he turned back to his job.
Cory led them through the ship towards the ready room to meet with the leaders.