Chapter 8

Ginny made us all a fruit bowl, topped with cool whip, raisins, and granola. After we ate, Mike walked me to my room so I could get ready for bed. There were three sets of pajamas and a set of National Geographic books on my bed.

"Thank you so much," I said to Mike.

"You're more than welcome. You don't have to worry about getting up early tomorrow. Ginny will be home all day so you can sleep in. Okay? Goodnight."

After Mike closed my door I looked around my room. "Thank You, God, for a great day," I prayed.

Why did they buy me clothes? How long are they going to allow me to stay here? Where will I go once I leave? Have they told anyone about me? I fell asleep with a lot of questions on my mind.

* * *

"How did everything go?" Mike asked Ginny in the privacy of their bedroom.

"Great. Keon thoroughly enjoyed himself," Ginny said.

"He seems to be a good kid. Has he said anything about his family or how he happened to be in the church?" Mike asked.

"No. And I think we should give him a few days before asking about his family. He seems to be warming up to us. He'll trust us enough to tell us his story," Ginny said.

"That's what I was thinking," Mike said. "I wanted to take him to work with me tomorrow, but I think he needs to sleep in. I don't want to overload him, especially since he might be experiencing some stress."

"I don't have any appointments for the rest of the week so he can hang with me," Ginny said. "And I'm sure he won't mind running a few errands with me."

"In the meantime, I'll see what I can find out about his mother," Mike said. "I think he said her name was Katherine Wilson, right?"

Ginny reached for her phone and looked at the notes she had taken. "Yes, that's her name. He said his grandmother died. His last name is Graham."

"I'll see what I can find out," Mike said, reaching over to turn the light out.

* * *

I awakened the following morning to sunlight streaming through my window. Someone had opened the blinds. I lay in bed wondering whether or not to get up. I heard a whirring sound coming from downstairs. Feeling hungry, I decided to get up. There was a towel, a face cloth, a toothbrush, and a comb and hairbrush on the dresser.

I gathered up the items and headed for the bathroom. Ginny must have heard me returning to my room to get dressed because she appeared in the hallway.

"Good morning, Keon. How are you feeling?" Ginny said.

"Good morning. I feel fine," I said.

"Do you feel rested?" she asked.

"Yes," I replied.

"Come down to the kitchen. I'll have your breakfast ready for you. Okay?"

"Okay," I said.

Ginny had prepared sausage biscuits, scrambled eggs with cheese, buttered toast with jam, orange juice, and danishes. We talked about the trip among other things while we ate.

"Mike's already left for work and Ann has already left for school, so it's just you and me," Ginny said. "Is there anything you would like to do?"

I thought a little. "I'll work on my laptop and read the books Mike gave me," I said.

"Do you have any brothers or sisters?" Ginny asked.

"No."

"What school do you go to?"

I swallowed. "Well, I don't go to school anymore. I haven't gone since my Nana died."

"You must miss her," Ginny said.

I nodded.

"As soon as you're done eating, we can go to my sewing room. I have a sewing business so I spend most of my days at home," Ginny said.

I helped her clear the table and stood by the sink while she washed the dishes.

Cuckoo! Cuckoo!

I swung round to where I heard the sound. A clock was hanging on the wall. A bird slid in and out of the tiny door saying, "Cuckoo! Cuckoo!" I was fascinated with it. I had never seen anything like that before. Ginny waited with me until the bird finished all ten cuckoos. We walked to her sewing room, then I left to get my laptop and books. I sat at one end of her cutting table and surveyed the large room. The sewing machine appeared to be bolted onto the table where Ginny sat. The table had one cabinet that stood open, exposing trays and spools of thread. There were drawers on the other side.

The closet door stood open and there were dresses hanging inside. There was a clothes rack standing against one wall. A half mannequin stood on the other end of the sewing table. There was a tiny bed pushed up to one corner.

"Did you sew those?" I asked, pointing at the clothes.

"Yes," Ginny said. For the most part, we worked in silence. By the time she ended her day, I presented her with a picture I drew on my laptop of her sitting at her sewing machine.

"Oh, thank you. It's beautiful," Ginny said giving me a hug. "We have to get it printed. You have wonderful talent."

"Thank you," I said. Then I whispered, "Thank You, God, for Ginny," remembering the promise I made to Nana to be thankful for the good people I met.