XIII: Markets and Libraries

Start from the beginning

"Of course, Mr. Matthews, right this way." 

He leads us to a back room with an entire wall filled with history and pulls three much bigger books of recorded trials, death records, and marriages.

"Leave us," I command him.

He bows, closing the door softly behind him and I get to looking through the trials first.

"What are you looking for?"

"Anything that can help my case. How many were sent to death due to same-sex mating couples; people dying for helping them marry or helping them flee, the couple themselves being hanged. I want a total death count to tell the people, to make them see how much we need this change. A trial total will make those paying taxes feel as if they have been robbed money to take people to trial over useless things, such as love." 

"Can we do anything to help?" Roman asks.

"Roman, Ramos, hit the shelves, find me some actual textbooks on the history of this island, how it was built, anything useful for my actual lessons with the queen. Samara, can you make a magic copy of these records and the books those two brothers find so I can take them with us?"

They all nod, following my orders, and we were finished by noon, stuffing the copied books into my satchel.

We left the records room just as we found it, going back to the streets.

"Finally  I can drop this glamor," Samara says relieved.

"I was wondering how you all managed to change so quickly," I tell them, chuckling.

"I take it back. A skilled witch and royal guard are enough protection, they just amplify your own authority." Ramos says, laughing.

"What of you? What's your use to me?" I ask him.

"I'm damage control of course." he says, causing the rest of us to burst out laughing.

We decided to head back down to the marketplace and grab lunch, and the items my mother asked for, then we went to the shopping stalls.

"What will you get for the king on his birthday?" Samara asks.

"I got him a ring." I say.

The three all stop walking to give each other a few looks.

"A ring?" Ramos says as if he himself is offended by the gift.

"W-What's wrong with a ring?"

"He's the king. He could have any ring he wants and has a huge collection of them. For your birthday I bet he has this extravagant trip planned to another kingdom and has a mountain of presents ready. A romantic trail out of the kingdom."

"Shh! What if someone was to hear you?" I hiss.

"Oh calm your knickers, I put a spell on us, to others it sounds as if we are gossiping about some handmaiden we work with." Samara fires back.

"I doubt he is going to go that big."

"He's the king, all he knows is how to do things over the top."

"But all I want is something simple-"

"No honey, all you can afford is something simple. Trust me. Once it happens it will take your breath away at how someone was willing to do that much for you even though they knew they already had your love and it was unnecessary. Don't listen to these two baboons, saying you need to match him. Stay simple. The ring's a start, but you should get him something else too. You came from simpler things, something grand would be a special treat. He came from the more extravagant end of the spectrum, something small and simple would make him feel overjoyed. Trust me." 

I did trust her. 

We went through the stalls and I stopped when someone caught my eye. There was a poorer painter to the side, showcasing their art, but no one seemed to be interested. His art looked good, life-like even.

"Excuse me, sir, could you paint something for me if I were to describe it to you?" I question him.

"It won't be exactly as you may want it but I can."

"Do you have a quill and some paper?" I ask the trio, who were now looking at me curiously.

Ramos produced the items, even had an inkwell, and I began to write exactly what I wanted down.

"A work like this, the materials I have won't do it justice." the artist tells me.

I pulled out three golden pieces, handing it to him.

"For the materials. How long do you think it will take for you to finish this painting?" I ask him.

"Four months at most." he tells me.

"Perfect. What is your address so I might message you for updates?"

I took down what he tells me, and smile at the man.

"Thank you. We'll keep in touch, and discuss payment once it is finished. As for your other works here, I like the one of the white wolf howling at the moon, willing to pay ten silver."

"Sold." the man says, grabbing a canvas cover, giving it to me.

"Nice doing business."

"Likewise."

As we all make the ride back to my parents house Roman questions "What did you get commissioned?"

"Described William and my wolf sitting by a water fountain in the Prim Gardens, the woods visible beyond, with a waterfall peaking through." 

"So why get the other canvas if you have something so extravagant?" Samara counters.

"First vision he ever had of me was in my wolf form, howling at the moon. I plan to give it to him when he visits here."

"He's coming here? When?" Ramos questions.

"Next week."

With that, the three stopped their pestering and we made the rest of the ride back home telling jokes and laughing.