Chapter 7: It Is What It Is

"I had, of course, several other back up plans. Trouble is, I couldn't remember what they were." Sherlock said as he sits in his chair, holding a mug in his hand, at 221B. He has a dark blue dressing gown over his clothes and, although he still has a few days of beard growth, his hair looks cleaner than it has been recently. The room is so much tidier, all evidence of Culverton Smith removed, and the fire is lit.

"And, of course, I hadn't really anticipated that I'd hallucinate meeting his daughter." He said to John, who was sitting in his chair also holding a mug. John nods at him as he hears Mary say. "Basically he trashed himself on drugs so that you'd help him...so you'd have something right do, something doctory. You get that now, though?"

Sherlock takes a drink from his mug, gazes towards the floor and sighs. "Still a bit troubled by the daughter. Did seem very real, and she gave me information I couldn't have acquired elsewhere." Sherlock said, softly. "But she wasn't ever here?" John asked. "Interesting, isn't it? I have theorized before that if one could attenuate to every available data stream in the world simultaneously, it would be possible to anticipate and deduce almost anything." said Sherlock as he sniffs and looks down, pensively.

"Hm. So you dreamed up a magic woman which told you things you didn't know." John said, nodding, as Mary says. "Well, it sounds about right to me. Possibly I'm biased."

"Perhaps the drugs opened certain doors in my mind." Sherlock replied, then he looks away and thinks about it for a moment. "I'm intrigued." He said as he takes another sip. "Oh, I know you are which is why (y/n) and I are taking turns to keep you off the sweeties." John said. "I thought we were just hanging out." Sherlock said, lowering his mug. John looks at his watch then looks up at him.

"(Y/N) should be here in a few minutes." John said. "Oh, I do think I can last a few minutes without supervision." Sherlock said as he smiles at John. John looks down, thinking, then said. "Well, if you're sure."

"Too late. Already back." You said as you walk into to the flat with some grocery bags. "Oh, perfect timing!" John said as you set the bags on the kitchen table. John clears his throat as you put up some of the groceries and said. "Uh, sorry, I've got to go, it's just, um....you know....Rosie." You look over at him as Sherlock looks down. "Oh yes, of course, Rosie." You and Sherlock said as Mary was shouting in John's head. "Christ, John, stay. Talk! Go and solve a crime together. Make Sherlock wear the hat!"

"We should, uh, come and see her soon." Sherlock replied as you grab some chocolates, you bought, and start to eat them as you walk back into the living room. "Yes." John replied, flatly.

"Actually, he should wear the hat as a special tribute to me. I'm dead. I would really appreciate it." Mary said but John ignores her.

John turns and starts to walk towards the door when you said. "Oh, by the way, the recordings will probably be inadmissible." John turns on the landing and walks back into the room. "Sorry what?" He asked. "Well, technically, it's entrapment so it might get thrown out as evidence. Not that that matters; apparently Smith can't stop confessing." You replied as Sherlock chuckles.

"That's good." John replied.

"Yeah." You and Sherlock said in unison. The three of you look away from each other as John flexes his finger on his left hand for a moment then turns towards the door. You sit down on his chair, eating on the chocolates and Sherlock looks down at his mug, then raises his head.

"Are you okay?" He asked and John laughs sarcastically as he walks back into the room. "Uh, what am I.....no, no, I'm not okay. I'm never gonna be okay. But we'll just have to accept that. It is what it is; and what it is is.....shit." John said as you and Sherlock nod, understanding. John pulls in a breath through his nose and lowers his head then looks back at you two and said. "You two didn't kill Mary."