Anyone but me.

Chelsea and I just stared at each other, we were in a daze.
"Chels, whats happening? Criminal?"
"I don't know Lee but i think he has said enough..", she was cut of in the middle of her sentence by the door bell ringing.
Chelsea went to open the door and she froze.

"Is this Verne Clifford's house", I heard someone say. There was a long silence. "Yes. ", I finally heard Chelsea say.
"Is he here right now because we want to fill out some formalities."
Chelsea looked at the man at the door and was a little hesitant to call him inside. After much deliberation, she decided to let him in.
When I saw them I figured why she had looked so shocked. Two tall, masculine figures walked into the room, dressed in blue. I simply sat there, gaping at the cops.

Chelsea went up to Verne's room and knocked, "Verne, some people are here to see you."
In less than a minute he was downstairs, not at all surprised that two cops were in his living room asking for him.

Finally one of them said, "Mr. Clifford, I'm afraid you have to come with us."
"Yeah sure", he said and started to follow them.
What is he doing? "Wait a minute, you guys can't just take him like that!", I blurted out. "This mister here has committed a serious offence.", one of the officers said.

"Levian, I already told you I am a criminal and I deserve this"
"No officer", I said to the cop, ignoring Verne, "what has he done? you have to give us enough proof that you are taking him for a reason."
"Well miss, I am sorry but you don't look like the jury to me."
He simply said this and walked out the door, Verne following him.

I felt tears swelling up in my eyes.
The officer tuned around before getting into the car,"And nobody is allowed to visit him until further notice."
I started crying. Verne who had been looking at me through the car window, looked away. Their vehicle soon dissapeared out of view while i was still in the process of regaining my sanity.

Chelsea closed the door and came to me, "Look Levian, you've cried enough for today. Let us get you some sleep hun, come.. "
She took me up to her room. "You sleep here, i will go to Verne's. It's okay honey, everything will get better."
She gave me a reassuring smile, turned the lights off and went out.

But I knew it wasnt going to be okay anytime soon. Verne was gone and I was here alone. Right now, I wanted to be anyone but me.

I couldn't sleep a wink and soon it was morning.
I forced myself out of bed and stepped into the shower. When I got out, I saw that Chelsea had left me some of her clothes on the bed. I smiled weakly and got dressed in her t-shirt and shorts.

I went downstairs and she was sitting looking through an old album. She must've been looking at Verne when he was a kid.

When she felt I was in the room, she stood up and walked over to me. I gave her the most honest smile I could manage, "I think I'll go get my car from Abby's now. I'll also get some fresh air on the way."
She nodded and gave me a hug.

I walked down the streets to Abby's place.
When she opened her door, I could see that Kent was a there with her.

I felt a strange awkward air settle on us so I got straight to the point.
"Hey I'm here to take my car, can you please give me the key?"
"Yeah sure why don't you come inside?"
I nodded went inside.
She got me something to drink and then to get my key while I sat in the couch with Kent staring at everything in the room but me.

There was an awkward silence. Soon, thankfully Abby was back. "I am sorry Lee, for the day before and for, well, everything."
"It's okay.", I mumbled. "I think I have to get going now.", I said and reached out for the keys,"I have work to do and things to figure out."
"What?", both of them said in unison.
"Nothing, just the keys."
"Wait a minute Lee, why are you acting so strange?", Kent talked to me for the first time since that night.
"Because everyone's doing the same lately, hiding things and not caring, well now i think it's up to me to get Verne out. "
"It's just, I have some place to be."
"Well then we'll go with you. You're not doing anything alone anymore Lee. I've left you alone an awful lot already.", Abby looked at me, and I could see in her eyes that she meant business.
"Fine. But you can get in the car with Kent. I want to drive alone."
"Okay if that's what you want. Where are we going?", Kent held me close. It felt like I was close to crying.
"My place first.", I said, trying vey hard not to give myself away.

I got out first and got in the car. I looked out and saw Abby was locking the door and Kent was waiting on her. Seeing this was my chance, I pressed hard on the gas and got on my way to anywhere in the world but my house.