Remnant

I sat alone in the cafe thinking about how much time had passed since I first met my guy. I still remember the day I had met him and god, had he acted smart. I hadn’t seen him until then- it was five months ago, during my last year at The Ranchers University.
A guy with his god damn attitude. If someone had told me then that I would be dating this guy, I would have taken them straight to the mental hospital. But now I was completely in love with this guy and it had all started when he dashed into me

**
"lalalala..", I was a humming a tune and walking towards my locker when someone dashed into me sending my books flying all over the place.
“What the!”, I swore under my breath and reluctantly bent down to pick up my books. I looked up to see this guy I had never seen, smiling at me.

Smiling??

“Help much?”, I snickered. “Ms.Bretlov”, he spoke, completely ignoring my comment. I raised my eyebrows to which he just smirked and walked away. Just like that.

Looks like some trouble with attitude, I thought to myself.
I was picking up the last of my books when I felt someone’s body hover above me, I looked up to see the beautiful oceanic blue eyes of my best friend Abigail staring down at me.
“Oh dear god, what the hell happened?”
“Nothing interesting to talk about”, I replied and got up. She didn’t say anything because she knew I didn’t want to talk about it. So I walked up to my locker and stuffed the books inside just before the bell rang.
“Got to go sweetie, I’ll see you at lunch”, she said and went away.

The following days I found myself fall prey to constant bad moods as I would always find the guy I bumped into leaning near my locker and whenever I looked his way he would wink at me. This continued for a few days but then I got fed up and went straight to him to talk.
“What do you want?” I questioned him.
“You... can I get that?” he replied. “Excuse me?” I snickered. He kept staring at me in a “checking you out” kind of way so I turned on my heels and was about to go away when I heard him say “Ms.Bretlov, wait up a minute”,I felt him stride up to me. Now he was in front of me.

“It’s Levian”, I corrected him. “I like Bretlov better”, he continued in his snarky tone. I folded my arms so I looked intimidating and raised my eyebrows. “You didn’t answer my question”.
“Which question?”, I asked actually confused.
“You asked me what I wanted and I said I wanted  you and then I was asking you if I could get that”.
I was shocked, utterly shocked. How could a person be more annoying? “Unbelievable…..never in your wildest dreams”, I said and continued my journey to the class. I heard him say “A fan of one direction eh?” and then he continued when I didn’t reply because of course I was a fan of one direction.
I'd managed to walk quite a distance when he shouted again.
“In case you wanted to know”, he paused “I am Verne, Verne Clifford”.

The next day to my utmost relief he wasn’t leaning near my locker. He wasn’t there tomorrow and the day after that either but my happiness was short lived for I found a couple of letters from Verne in my locker.
One read “Hey beautiful, want to hang out sometime?”. Then there was one with “God you turn me on” and believe it or not a couple of One Direction’s posters attached to it and god was I happy. I smiled to myself but was caught by Abigail.
“Haven’t seen you smiling in a while. What’s up?” I handed her the One Direction posters and the letters as well.
“What have we got here? A lover guy? Aww...who is he?”.
“The guy I bumped into the other day. He has been hovering around me ever since that day.”, I rolled my eyes.

Just then I saw Verne walking towards me. Abigail followed my eyes to see who I was looking at.
“Got to go and yeah he is hot.”, she winked and walked away.
Verne walked up to me and just randomly said,  “Can we at least be friends?”
I stared at him like he hadn’t say anything. “Look Bretlov, I am sorry I didn’t apologise for bumping into you the other day but I am doing so right now.”
Saying this he went down on his knees, hands holding his ears. “I, Verne Clifford ask for the sincerest apology to Ms.Levian Bretlov.” I stood there, totally dumbfounded and then after a minute I noticed people looking at us. So for the sake of it I accepted his apology but then he added that I had to befriend him.

I couldn’t take it any longer so I said “okay, whatever. I am getting late for class.” He stood up and hugged me “Thanks”.
That’s all I heard for he walked away soon after.
**

Well after that we really became ‘friends’ and within a month we started dating- which is four months we’ve been together. Time passes by without anyone hardly noticing the impact of it.
“Come on let’s leave”, I heard an all too familiar voice say, taking me out of my past and into the present. I turned to see a guy with sandy brown hair and emerald green eyes, who is apparently my boyfriend, walk towards me. I stood up not even thinking about what he had just said. I was picking up my bag to leave when it hit me “Wait...what?!”
“I said let’s go.”
“Let’s go? I have been waiting here for one hour and am hungry as hell and you turn up now and say let’s go.”
“Look Lee we need to talk,” he said in a serious tone but damn his tone, I was hungry and I had been waiting for so long. I wasn’t going to go down without a fight.
“No, if we need to talk then we’re talking right here.” I said sitting back down. He rolled his eyes but slumped into the seat opposite to mine.
“Suit yourself. Don’t fuss about it later.” I rolled my eyes
“Lee..,”
“Wait, can we eat something first? I am really hungry,” I cut him off. He looked annoyed but nodded so quickly that I ordered two plates of Ramen noodles.
The food was before us in no time. I placed some before him but he just stared at me. I started eating but he kept staring at me intently with an emotion I couldn’t understand. I placed my bowl of noodles down and sighed, “What’s going on Verne?”.

“Lee I want to break up with you” he said with a sigh of his own.
My mouth dropped open , I didn’t know what to say because I knew he wasn’t joking. He was dead serious so I asked the only question that made sense.
“Why?”.
His expression changed a little but I could not figure it out. “I don’t like you anymore”, he said with his eyes averted towards the floor.
“You’re lying”, I replied. He looked at me like I was crazy. “Look me in the eye and say it”, I said almost naturally.
“Seriously? You think...”, but I cut him off “Verne! Just do it” I said a raising my voice a little.
“Well If that is what you want then.. I don’t like you anymore, lee”, he said with his eyes burning into mine. I almost wished he was lying but now he had proved he wasn’t. He got up and that’s when it hit me, the reality of this situation. I instantly got up as tears started flowing down my face. "No”, I cried. “You can't be doing this". His hardened expression faltered but just for a second.
“I am sorry lee but I got to go”.
      "But I thought…”.
       "I don’t care what you thought! It was not what you thought it was", he       broke me off in the middle of my sentence.
Meanwhile the whole cafe turned silent and if it weren’t for our voices we could hear a pin drop.
Verne noticed this as well and so spoke in a barely audible voice, "I am leaving. There is nothing more to talk about”. He turned around and walked out of the cafe. Not even turning around once.
I was all that was left- a mere remnant of something he claims was never even there.
I wanted to run and hide, from this world, from everyone.

The cafe resumed their talk. My mind had no idea what to do but apparently my body had since I felt it turn and just like that I was out of the cafe. Don’t ask me how. I got into my car and drove away as quickly as I could. As I reached my apartment, I fumbled the key through the lock and banged the door shut.