Epilogue

[A/N: I honestly wasn't planning on writing this, but you all wanted me to, so here goes :)]

You'd think I would have lost my mind in these next three years. Haunted with flashbacks of my mother, of the Shadows, of almost dying. But something kept me holding on. I'm not sure what, but it's what forced me out of my bed each morning and told me to take care of myself. To not be reckless. Maybe it was my promise. Maybe it's because I'm human, and perfectly sane humans take care of themselves. I'm twenty-two now. It's sad, I spent the first few years of my adult life in an Asylum. I try to look past this when I think of it. A lot of things have changed. My hair turned strawberry red after years of not dyeing it. I grew an inch and a half taller. My skin's become paler. I plan on dyeing my hair right after I get out, which I have no idea when that will happen. I lay on my side, writing all of this in a book. I requested a notebook to write my things in the first week I was here, so I would be able to remember everything that happened. Every good day. Every time I had a memory of Andy or Allison and I laughed or I cried. The days when I felt like even the fact I was in an Asylum I could not be stopped. My reasons to keep trying. The bad parts of the days, when I felt utterly alone and sobbed in my room. When I thought I couldn't spend another day without seeing Andy. When I wanted to die. But I didn't. I managed to pull through. And I believe I've grown stronger, through these years at this damned Asylum. I understand what it's like to be alone. To be away from the ones who you love. I'm no longer just some teen with high-school drama. I sigh, and close the battered notebook. It's late, and I'm tired. I click the pen shut, and slip it into the metal rings, before sliding it under my bed. The bed creaks as I roll back over, and I sigh, before pulling a blanket up to my chin. I close my eyes, and let sleep take over.

 The next morning, I awake to a sharp knock on my door. My eyes are hooded with sleep, and I want to yell at the person to come back in a few hours. But something tells me this is important. I yawn, and stretch my back, before walking over and opening my door. I see a worker standing there. Juliet, I think her name is? She was here during my first visit. She smiles at me, and I quirk an eyebrow. What is she doing here?

 "I have good news, Eve!" She exclaims, clapping her hands together, her eyes bright.

  "Er.. what is it?" I ask, and she laughs in delight.

  "You're being discharged! Today!" she says, and disbelief lies on my face like a mask.

  "Wow." Is all I can manage to say, and she hugs me before going off and getting back to work. I sit down on my bed, and excitement runs through my body. I can barely believe this. They're letting me go! I get to see Andy and Jake and Jinxx and CC and Ashley and Allison! I can barely control my excitement as I hop up and down in bed, and shriek with elation. I'm going to be free! A roll of terror hits me all of the sudden- what if Andy decides he doesn't want me anymore? What if he's found someone else? What if he doesn't even care about me? I freeze, my eyes wide. He wouldn't do that, would he? No. Don't be stupid, Eve. He would never do something like that.

 I hop up out of bed, and run to the bathroom. I forgot to mention this, but they leave my door unlocked now, on the pretense I don't wander around too often. I hop in the shower, and scrub every inch of my body. I shampoo my hair several times, and once I feel I'm sparkling clean, I excitedly jump out, and dry myself. I get another change of clothes, white tank top and blue pants. Now that I'm all ready, I go back to my room, and wait. This is going to be forever- the sun isn't even up yet!

 The next few hours pass tediously, but, before I know it, I have a worker in my room, telling me that I will be leaving in one hour. I nod, and get up. Nervousness replaces excitement, and suddenly, I am afraid. I haven't seen the outside world in so long. I take a deep breath, and follow him out of the room. A change of clothes- my clothes, the ones I wore when I came here for the second time, are shoved at me, and I change in the bathroom. I get a comb, too, and I brush my hair, trying to make myself look presentable. What if Andy doesn't recognize me, because of my hair? It's become curly and a light red. I brush those thoughts away, and wait nervously in the opening room.

 I want to scream, because all of a sudden, Andy is pushing the front door open, and scanning the room, looking for me. His eyes land on me, and his face breaks into the most beautiful smile I have ever seen. I jump up, and run at him. I throw my arms around his neck, and he holds me tightly. He just holds me and somehow I'm crying and I have no idea how I made it this far.

 "I love you Andy." I say through the tears that are streaming down my face, and to respond to that, he presses a fiery kiss to my lips. I kiss him back, not caring that people are watching, that I am now a citizen and need to act properly in public. Because this is Andy, and he belongs to me.

 And then, as we walk out of the Asylum, hand in hand, I stop walking, and look back at the Asylum. And I say goodbye. I let go of all the memories I had there. Of the way I was an outsider. An outcast. I begin walking again, and hold onto Andy's hand a bit tighter this time.

 And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the Story of The Ultimate Outcasts.