Chapter Five

I wake up the next morning to Andy shaking me. I must have had a nightmare, because tears are streaming down my face. I feel kind of embarrassed, and blush when I turn my head and see how close my face is to his. He smiles hopefully.

 "Are you alright?" he whispers, his hand on my cheek and his thumb tracing over my cheekbone. I swallow down a chain of words that describe how I feel, as none of them are even close to 'alright'. I take a deep breath, and try to speak.

 "Yeah.. I'm fine, don't- don't worry about it. Thanks though." I say as truthfully as possible. Andy nods, and presses a kiss to my forehead. I blush, and he smiles at me again. I pull myself out of bed as he leaves the room, and I realize I fell asleep in my regular clothing. I close the door, and lock it so Andy won't walk in on me changing. I put on a pair of grey skinny jeans, a black tanktop, and my combat boots. I brush my teeth and straighten my hair, and meet Andy in the living room. He's casually sprawled across the couch with his eyes closed. He looks tired, and I don't want to bother him, so I head back to my room. I sit on my bed nervously, thinking of my mom. She saw me. I know she did.

I cower in my room, far from the dangerous hands of my mother or the stinging words from my father. I press my hand to my cheek, and wince when I feel the bruises there. Tears begin streaming down again when I hear the front door open. Mom is home.

I gasp when my eyes open. Fear begins threading through my veins, pulling me down. It's as though someone put rocks in my chest- I can't breathe, I can't think. I fall to my hands and knees, and start hyperventilating. That wasn't the F.E.A.R. world. I was ten years old there. That was a flashback. Of what? I clutch my hand to my throat, trying to get a grip. I'm fine. I'm fine. Andy is in the other room, if he hears you he will come in here. Get it together Eve.

After a few minutes, the panic in my chest begins to reside, and I close my eyes. What the hell was that? I hastily wipe the tears away from my cheeks- why do I cry so much? Why am I so weak? No wonder my mother sent me to an Asylum. I pull myself up, and decide to take a shower. I creep into the living room again, and Andy is still sitting there, except his eyes are wide open and he's puffing on a cigarette.

 "Um- I'm going to take a shower." I say. He looks to me, and raises an eyebrow.

  "Have you been crying?" he asks, and gets up. I shake my head, and lower my gaze to the floor.

   "No." I whisper. He holds onto my wrists gently, and speaks to me again, in a pleading tone this time.

 "Yes you were. Why were you crying?" he asks, and I blush. I don't know if I can tell him about the flashback, he'll think I'm insane. I mean, I trust him, but what if he puts me back in the Asylum? I know for a fact I am not crazy, and I don't want to go back there.

 I also feel bad lying to Andy though. Maybe I should tell him.. I bite my lip, and look up to him. His eyes search my features, desperate for an answer. Why does he care so much? I take a shaky breath, and a single tear drips down my cheek. As if on cue, Andy wipes it away, and whispers a "Please, Eve."

 "I-" I start, but my voice cracks. I clear my throat, and start again. "I had a flashback." I whisper. His eyes widen a little bit.

 "Of what?" He asks, and I realize how vague I am being. Anxiety rolls through my insides again.

  "My mom." I say, barely audible. Andy pulls me into a hug.

  "What happened in it, Eve?" he asks me, and I shake my head. Tears stream down my face, I don't want to tell him. He'll pity me even more, and I don't deserve it. I don't need it. I bury my face in his shirt, and avoid the question. He draws circles on the small of my back, and I relax against his touch. "Eve.. please?" he asks. I groan. Do I really have to tell him?

 "I.. I think she abused me." I say softly. Andy freezes.

 "Abused- as.. as in?" he asks.

 "Like, physically. I think she beat me when I was a kid." I say, and Andy lets go of me. I realize I am shaking, and he pulls me over to the couch. I begin sobbing, and he just holds me while I let it all out. What's wrong with me? Why can't I handle anything?

 "I'm so sorry. So sorry." he whispers, and I shake my head. Why is Andy sorry? He hasn't done anything other than help me. I try to speak and explain that he shouldn't be sorry, that none of this is his fault, and that I wouldn't blame him if he walked away now, but I can't seem to form a coherent sentence. Finally, I begin calming down, and he pulls me against him. Why is he so amazing? He's going to leave like everyone else, and I will fall in love with him right before he does. Why can't he be easy to hate, so I could walk away now? I know for a fact he only treats me the way he does because he pities me. He doesn't truly care about me, no one does.

 "Sorry." I whisper. He looks down at me, his eyes wide.

  "For what?" He exclaims.

  "For not being good enough. All I've done so far is cause you trouble, I'm not worth it and I'm so sorry. I know you don't actually like me, and I wouldn't blame you if you walked away now. I'm just some random chick you're wasting your time on." I say, and his expression softens.

 "That isn't true, Eve. It isn't true at all. You're amazing, really. You're good enough for me, I promise, and I won't walk away. That's a promise too. I like you Eve, I don't know why you think this." He says, and I blush.

 "Thanks.." I say, and wipe my face. "Sorry, again. Um.. Can I take a shower now?" I ask. Andy smiles at me, and m heart melts.

 "Sure." he kisses my cheek, and I head to the bathroom, my cheeks bright red.

[A/N: Sorry it's so short!]