Chapter Twenty-Four: Is There Something Attractive About Me...

Chapter Twenty-Four: "Is There Something Attractive About Me Eating A Taco Like A Dog?"

IT'S GOING TO TAKE A FEW DAYS TO REFURNISH TYLER'S HOUSE.

So, in the meantime, his family will be staying at my pad. Luckily, even though we used to be a family of 4, we had some extra rooms given circumstances. We have 5 rooms in our 4 storey house, all of which are the size of an apartment living room and kitchen combined, but maybe bigger. Arrangements had to be made, but I think we all know what would be happening.

Tyler and I would be staying in my room, Lucy or Ashley would be in Emily's old room, the other girl would be in one of the guest bedrooms, and Mason would be in the other. I feel bad having to know that Mason will be staying alone for a long while, but maybe being alone will help him with his mourning process. Mason is stubborn and won't come to anyone for support, so I'll have to keep an eye on him in case he's struggling and needs someone to talk to.

As I'm unpacking some clothes the girls have brought from my house, I find Mason sitting in the family room staring into space.

I cautiously walk towards him and sigh. "Hey, you," I say softly.

Mason ignores me and continues to stare into space. I understand why he doesn't want to talk to me, but I can't help not knowing that I was involved with his silence and how distant he is, and how broken he is.

I take a minute to contemplate on whether or not I want to just give him space. I decide against it. He needs someone to talk to, and even if it's not me, I'm completely fine with it. He's been giving everyone the cold shoulder since what's happened, and whether he likes it or not, he's going to talk eventually. He needs to realize that we're his family and we're going to help him get through this and we're just going to let him suffer.

We'll obviously give him space if he needs it, but it's not going to be like that forever.

"Look, I know I'm probably the last person you want to talk to–or even see–but I just want to know how you're holding up. I got you involved in some stupid–"

"Not stupid." He says sharply. "It was definitely not stupid, Morgan Peters."

I take in a sharp intake of breath. I hate when people use my full name when engaged in conversation and it makes me feel bad and guilty. Very, very, guilty.

"I'm sorry I told Tyler, but I needed someone I could trust. Gordon's a cop, okay? You know how I do with them. Ty basically forced it out of me; I had no choice but to tell him. I was trying so hard to keep it to myself, Mase, I tried so fucking hard.

"You can blame me and be pissed at me for the rest of your life at what I did, but I didn't try to let it spiral out of control like it did. I know I did a lot of wrong with the whole situation and I know that sending the rabbit feet as a taunt may have not been the smartest–"

"You what?" He interrupts, and looks at me angrily. I get slightly taken aback, but I try not to express how upset this is making me. He's angry at me and it's not hard to tell. A toddler could tell it; there's so much tension risen in the air whenever we're in the same room together and it's hard to not break the silence without fighting.

I guess he didn't know about the rabbit feet. "Never mind," I grumble, starting to get frustrated myself. "It doesn't matter." And then I walk out the room. I walk to the elevator and once I'm in, I press the button to my room and press the big red button, and the elevator stops abruptly, and a little ringing starts singing throughout the small space.

I let out a frustrated scream for a quick second then press the button once again, and the elevator starts moving. Wiping away the strands of hair that fell in my face, I casually walk off the elevator and head to my room. I open the door and see it empty, so I close it and fall onto my bed tiredly.