Chapter Fifty-Two: Grudges

Chapter Fifty-Two: "Grudges."

FOR SOME REASON, I feel pressure press against my chest, and I jolt up having a severe coughing fit. At that same time, I hear loud banging of a door that's too close to be the front door downstairs.

What's going on?

I open my eyes, and come face to face with my mom straddling my stomach. She looks down at me with horrified eyes, and they are flooded with fear and panic. Her chest is heaving heavily, and I see tears in her sockets but she's not letting them show if she could help it. She gets off me with a sudden nonchalant face, and sits beside me.

I blink away the water from my eyes and that's when I hear hinges break and the bathroom door get beat down. Tyler and Bryce stumble around at the sudden break of the door opening, and I look at them in a haze, gasping for air my body wasn't taking in.

Immediately, Tyler throws my mom away from me and I'm brought into his arms confusedly.

He squeezes me like his life depends on it, and I try to comprehend what is happening with the lack of red blood cells getting to my brain.

Suddenly, he pulls back and looks at me with angry, scared, and worried eyes. "Are you okay? God damn it, what the hell is the matter with you?!"

I look at him confusedly. "W–w–what are you talking about?" I wheeze out.

"What am I talking about? Jo, are you trying to kill yourself? You've been in here for over two hours and you didn't answer us when we called you and the door was locked! What the hell were you thinking?" He rambles, and I see his eyes go glassy.

"I'm sorry," I say softly. "I–I must've fallen asleep. I'm sorry."

He pulls me back into his chest forcefully, and I hug him back in confusion, but a sigh of relief escapes my lips when he sounded more worried than mad. "Don't you ever do that to me again, you hear?"

"I'm sorry." I repeat. I remember suddenly that it wasn't just him who came in here, and look up to see everyone looking at me with horrified eyes. My mom has some deep emotion swimming in her eyes as well but I can't pinpoint exactly what that emotion is. Her face hasn't changed since she got off me.

She pushes her way past Bryce and Megan and walks up to me again. She looks at me sadly, and brings her hand up to examine my face. "Can you breathe okay?"

I semi-nod, I still feel winded.

"Are our faces contorted? Voices distant? Can you comprehend what I'm saying as I say it?" She continues to interrogate. I shake my head, and she lifts my eyelids, bringing a light to them. "Follow the pen with your eyes without moving your head." She orders.

I do as she says, and she clicks off the light, placing her hands on her knees and hauling herself up off the floor.

"She should be fine." Mom says to everyone else. "Is your chest heavy?" She asks me.

"A little." I reply.

She nods. "You might have some water in your lungs. You'll probably be coughing for a bit of the night while your body tries to get rid of it. You'll most likely pee a lot." She explains, and I hear Tyler let out a sigh of relief.