She and Rhaya took their seats in two of the four empty chairs. Terrena guessed that the other two chairs were for Isauria and Zelene, but she doubted either would be present. The disdainful look Sylvanna wore confirmed this.

"As we mentioned last night," Sylvanna began, "we are planning a much larger scale celebration for Imbolc than normal since we will be hosting the Tullians at that time."

"Right down to business then," Rhaya muttered.

Terrena's heart went out to her sister in moments like this, when so much tension radiated throughout the room that even she could sense it without the aid of any empathic abilities. Which meant Rhaya would be feeling everything with much more intensity as an empath without control over her gifts. Terrena's gaze shifted between the three Duillaine. Sylvanna's posture stiff and her nose in the air. Solanna, the youngest Duillaine, sat up straight, but her head was lowered to stare at the hands folded in her lap.

Terrena's mother, on the other hand, did not even try to hide her exhaustion. She leaned back in her chair, slumped over and resting her cheek against her left hand. Meridel's face was almost as red as Solanna's hair, which meant she was more than tired. She was upset, possibly even angry, which led Terrena to wonder what the Duillaine had been discussing—or more accurately, arguing about, from the looks of it—before they arrived.

"It is also our hope," Sylvanna continued, staring directly at Terrena, "to celebrate Wassail."

Terrena nodded ever so slightly, her heart sinking into her stomach. She knew what they meant. They hoped for her to marry. She knew this day would be coming, but she had hoped it wouldn't be this soon after leaving Garrett.

"Wassail is the marriage ceremony thing, right? Who's getting married?" Rhaya asked, clearly not catching on to the pointed looks the Duillaine gave Terrena.

Terrena cleared her throat and sat up a little straighter. "I am. To whom am I betrothed?"

Rhaya caught on to their meaning then. "Oh . . . you want Terrena to marry one of the Tullians." She reached under the table and took her sister's hand, giving it a squeeze. "Who's the lucky guy?"

Terrena closed her eyes, relieved that Rhaya was here with her instead of Zelene. Everything had to be a fight with Zelene, and it was the last thing she needed at the moment. Terrena needed to accept this, and having the support of her sister helped.

"His name is Reilly," Solanna answered.

"And what does he offer with our union?" Terrena asked, trying to muster her best professional air and ignoring Rhaya's disapproving glance.

"The armies of Tullia, which he now leads. He will also begin recruiting from our lands to join the army in the fight against Cahira," Sylvanna explained.

Rhaya leaned on the table. "Wait, so do you mean Anscombe doesn't have its own army?"

Sylvanna tsked. "Of course we do, child. The Estridian army defends all the worlds against the Cahiran threat, so we are stretched rather thin. Needless to say, we could use the reinforcements to protect our own borders and the capital. We could use more guards patrolling our hallways in light of recent events."

"We've needed more guards for a long time," Solanna added, an edge of resentment in her tone.

Sylvanna waved her off. "Yes, well, now we have some bargaining power to get more soldiers."

"But why don't you just order the other worlds to give you more soldiers?" Rhaya asked. "I mean, you guys rule them all. Right?"

"Yes, but we don't want to be tyrannical," Meridel said. "Each world has an independent government of their own, and they must look out for their own interests, just as the separate territories of Estridia do."