Chapter 2 - Beyond Belief

Start from the beginning

            Embarrassed, Ford quickly looks down at his paper and doesn’t know any of the answers. He glanced up at the clock as it ticked forward twice. The rest of the test didn’t go well. By the time the bell for the end of the day rang, Ford had only finished part of the test. Gulping, Ford stood up and handed Mr. Lenoir his quiz. Mr. Lenoir quickly glanced over it and noticed that half of the answers weren’t even filled in.

            “What happened?” Mr. Lenoir looked up at Ford who just shrugged his shoulders. “You could have done better this.” That look hit the spot right in the back of Ford’s throat. Mr. Lenoir was disappointed in him. Leaving the classroom, Ford’s heart sank in his chest.

***

            Parking in his driveway, Ford glanced up at the dark clouds the snow coming down harder than before. Grabbing his backpack, Ford slid out of the car into the harsher snow. Ford made it to his house and opened the door slipping inside. His mother and father were in the kitchen.

            “Well, look whose home. I am making tuna casserole for dinner.” Nancy beamed an excitement bouncing around in her head. “I also got some ice cream from the store.”

            “My favorite dish, ice cream,,, are you trying to butter me up?” Ford laughed smelling the tuna and noodles in front of him.

            Roger rolled his eyes and changed the paper, “or make my heart give out.”

            “What’s with the third degree?” Nancy put her hands up in defense.  “I just wanted to congratulate you, but if that’s not cool anymore.”

            “Congratulate me? For what?” Ford looked from his father to his mother.

            “Well, your P.E. teacher called and thinks your ready to try out for varsity this next year.” Roger nodded then punched his son playfully in the arm.

            “Well that’s not going to happen.” Ford spat back and twisted his face in disgust.

            “Why not?” Nancy put her hands on her hips and her voice took on a condescending tone.

            “I’m just not into that.” Ford then looked from his judging mother’s glare to his father’s lackadaisical expression. “I’m surprised you didn’t hang up the phone on him.”  Ford’s mind surged with anger. His parents had no idea who he was and it really irked him.

            “Ford, no need to get so angry.” Nancy put her cloth down on the counter,

            Shooting his mom the death glare, Ford retorted, “You wouldn’t get it would you mom.” He marched out of the kitchen and up to his room. Staring across the room at a picture of his family – all smiling and posed for a picture. He buried himself in his bed sheets until a few minutes later there was a knock on the door. Roger entered the room.

“I get it, you’re angry – this is teen angst. Right? I almost burnt down the house when I went through it so I guess your mom and I are pretty lucky.” Roger laughed and watched his son emerge from the sheets.

            “I just can’t handle her sometimes dad.” Ford shook his head. “I write a great opinion piece for the school paper. I work hard in school, yet the only time she notices something is when I get asked to join the football team!” Ford shouted not realizing his voice rose. He paused and took a moment to calm down then, “I’m sorry I yelled I just…”