Chapter 1 - As Still as a Statue

Depuis le début

***

            Picking at a peanut butter and grape jelly sandwich Ford sat in the museum cafeteria. Ford eyed his history teacher, a tall lean man with a five o clock shadow in a sports coat and dress shirt didn’t seem to fit into the group. Something about the man appealed to Ford, it could be that he was handsome or maybe even the way he spoke slow and selective.

            “You enjoying the museum?” Gavin Lenoir, the history teacher Ford so desired, inquired.

            “Yeah Mr. Lenoir,” Audrey smiled finishing an applesauce cup. “Thanks for organizing this. I”

            “You know, I figured it is so close.” Gavin answered and then turned his beautiful puppy dog eyes to Ford. “Remember, if you write an extra credit paper on something you’ve seen in the museum.  I can’t wait to see what you pick.” Gavin winked at Ford and walked on to check on his other students.

            Ford’s heart fluttered and he bit his lip. Lost in a daydream he wanted to believe that Mr. Lenoir meant more with that wink. One day, Ford dreamed, to be able to run away with him away from Levi and Carter but alas it was only a dream.

            “You zone out all the time Ford, I feel like my brain just can’t stop thinking.” Audrey stared at Ford whose eyes were still on Mr. Lenoir. “Swallow Ford, you’re drooling?”

            Dragging his hand across his mouth Ford quickly smiled back at Audrey.  He stood up. “I know just what I am going to write my extra credit paper on.”

***

            Moving over to the information board by the Roman statue Ford took out his phone. and took a picture of it. He looked back up at the statue, which seemed to be looking back at him. Ford was so entranced by it that he didn’t realize the figure approaching behind him.

            “You’re going to write about the statue.” Levi came up behind Ford and scoffed.  “You would pick the naked statue to write about.”

            Ignoring the bully, Ford took another picture of the statue with his phone. Levi looked at the statue and touched the crack. Ford paused and put his phone down. “You’re not supposed to do that.”

            “You’re not supposed to do that,” Levi mocked and shook his head. “It’s a rock. You’re writing about a rock.” Suddenly, the small crack grew larger and the eyes of the statue glowed a burnt orange unbeknown to Levi, who turned his back on it. An orange glow emerged from the crack the light of it projecting onto Levi’s back.

            “Watch out!” Ford leapt forward pushing Levi out of the light and knocking him to the floor. The beam of light entranced Ford pulling his mind in and suddenly with a push knocked Ford to the hard marble floor. Instantly Levi was on top of him, his fists balled.

            “What is your problem? You really want to pick a fight with me?” Levi raised his fist then brought it down right into Ford’s eye cracking his glasses.  Trying to push Levi off, Ford wasn’t strong enough to and felt the weight of the football player on his torso. Levi’s legs straddled him and pinned down one of his arms. Ford struggled to get his arm free.

            “I thought, I dunno,” Ford tried to wiggle his other arm, pinned by Levi’s tight grip, “didn’t you see the statue was acting weird.”
            “It’s a rock,” Levi punched Ford in the chest knocking the wind out of him. “Know your place.” Standing up Levi moved to the other room of the museum. Standing up Ford felt his eye swelling up already. He turned to leave the room not noticing the cloaked grey figure in the corner watching him.