Chapter:12

We got back to the ranch. Riley just asked me to be his girlfriend. I don't know what to say. He's giving me all the time in the world to think about it. At the moment I just want to curl up in my own bed and sleep on it. Maybe after a few good hours of sleep I will be able to think clearly. Riley dropped me off at my house before unloading the horses and taking the cattle to the pasture they were suppose to be in.

I went into my house and closed the door behind me. I dropped the harness and felt my way to the couch. The whole time Barrow was right beside me. His clip clop was like music as they struck the tile flooring. I sat down and kicked my boots off before working my way around his harness. Once it was off he sat down next to the couch as I got up. I found my way to my room and to the dresser. He nickered when I found my underwear drawer. I opened the drawer and pulled a pair of underwear out before closing the drawer.

I grabbed a tee shirt and went to get a shower. Once I was out I got in bed and curled up in a ball.

**********************************************************************

Three months later

**********************************************************************

"I don't know Riles. You know I won't be able to see you compete." I said to my boyfriend that I've been dating for two months. Yeah it took me a whole month to decide if I should be his girlfriend. When I said yes he hugged me and then took me out to eat that night. "The announcers basically says everything the horse and rider do." He said. "I still don't know about it." I said. "Timothy is going to be competing with one of the cutting horses you trained. He's tried the boy out and he's brilliant. I'll be trying out the other one you worked on." He said. His hands taking mine.

He kissed my forehead. "Would you like to go on a ride with me through the pasture?" He asked. "Yeah." I answered. "Come on then I think Bar could use a break." He said leading me to the stables. Once there Cal whinnied. He continued to make noise until I was in front of his stall. He's became a bigger seeing eye horse. No training or anything like that but he's figured out how I can find him. He put his nose against my chest. I unlatched his stall and gripped his halter.

"Lead on Cal." I said. He started walking to the tack room. Once there he led me to his tack. After I went blind, Riley and a few of the ranch hands remodelled the stable and tack room making it easier for me to find each set of tack. Cal led me to his tack and nickered. I reached out with my free hand feeling the engraving in the saddle rack. Each rack had a different horse engraved into the wood. That's also how I knew which was which. I picked the saddle and pad up and put it on Cal's back. Boots on the concrete resonated throughout the room. Then put the bridle on.

I tightened the girth and checked the stirrups. Then let Cal lead me out. Once outside Cal stopped waiting for me to mount. I mounted waiting for Riley to come up beside me. "Let's go." His voice sounded. Cal stared walking. The wind gently blew as we rode. We stopped once, Riley handed me the reins to his horse. Then I heard a gate open. "On through." He said. I sat still as Cal walked through the open gate. "Woah." He called out. Cal stopped.

6666 ranch
South pasture
Riley

I called for her horse to stop once him and mine were through the gate. I closed it up good before walking to her and setting my hand on her knee as I took my reins. She didn't flinch knowing it was only me. I've been doing a little research on people that have lost their vision in head collisions. So far surgery to repair her eyes is on the top of the list. I know she wants to be able to see me and everything else.

If she could see me she'd see that I've grown my hair out along with a moustache and beard combo. My parents keep telling me to get a haircut but I honestly don't think I need one now. I mounted onto my horse and led the way. Caliber followed behind my horse. The fall weather was beautiful this time of year. I wish she could see it for herself. I looked back at her. Her head turned at every little noise. She'd be looking around at all the pretty colors and looking out beyond me at the cattle grazing.

Next week I'll be showing off a new cutting horse at a competition alongside Timothy a new ranch hand that arrived two months after Becky went blind. Today the horse just needs a leisurely ride to loosen him up before I finish his training up today. She rode up beside me. "Riley." I turned to face her. "Yes punpkin?" I asked. "Do you still like me?" She asked. I smiled softly. "Let's stop for a second." I said pulling my horse to a stop. Caliber stopped next to mine. I dismounted and went around to her. I got her down off her horse. "Why would you ask that question?" I asked her.

"I don't know." She said to me. I pulled her to me. Her head resting in the middle of my chest. "Beck. I love you more than you could ever think. Your beautiful, talented and smart. You can figure out what to do. Your vision of the world is like its a giant puzzle. You always find ways to solve the problem you have even when you need help trying to do it." I told her. Her arms tightened around my middle. I looked down at her. I could tell she was letting out some tears.

I wiped them away and lifted her head. I took her sunglasses off to look at her eyes. They were still as beautiful as they were before the incident. "Your still the beautiful woman I've known for almost a year. Even though you've been blind for most of the time." I said. "God definitely has a plan for you in this world and I'm sure he's already got the rest of your life planned out for you." I told her. "Come on let's get back before they send out a search party." I said slipping her sunglasses back into place.