Chapter:10

Barrow led me to the stables. I put a lead on one of the colts I was training and led him out to the ring. I've been able to adapt well without my eyes. I am required to wear sunglasses expected when I sleep.

Barrow stood beside me while I led the colt around. If I moved too far over he nudges me back into my place. Once the colt was worked Barrow nipped at my shirt telling me he was done for the day.

The morning after I got him Riley's mother told me he was special trained for this. It did cost more but was worth it. My family kept wanting to come over and practically baby me.

I don't like being babied. I finished brushing the colt when I heard boots sounding off the concrete floor. Barrow led me out and I latched the stall behind me.

"You keep getting better every time I see you." Riley's voice filled the stable. Barrow led me over to him. He put his arm around me. I laid my head on his shoulder. He kissed the top of my head.

"Your parents are still wanting to enter the ranch to take care of you." He said. "All they want to do is baby me." I complained. "Come on my mom said to take you into town." He said.

I heard a vehicle door open. "She also informed me to take your truck." He said. "I've got Barrow. Just step forward and you'll feel the seat." He added. I took a step forward finding the seat.

I climbed in and he closed the door. I heard the back door open before hearing Barrow get in. The door closed and a few seconds later he got in.

The truck started up and moved forward. We sat in silence until the radio was turned on. A few minutes later the truck was pulled to a stop. I heard a door open before the door behind me did. I unbuckled my seatbelt.

Mine opened last and I felt a hand on mine. I slid out of the truck and was handed my seeing eye horse. Riley and I held hands as we walked up to wherever we are. Barrow led me inside.

The sound cattle, horses, hogs, chickens, and other foul filled my ears. "Are we at a show?" I asked Riley. "You know it so well." He said. I hugged him. "Come on let's go get signed in. Then get the boys and girls settled." He said.

After getting signed in we went back outside. I heard the trailer ramp drop. Then hooves hitting the padding. "Here's Cal." Riley said handing me the lead. Cal nudged me.

I pet him. "Here's a filly." Riley said handing me another lead. I had Barrow lead me to the trailer and I tied the two up before going back for two more. A colt and heifer.

I tied the colt up before the heifer. "Here's a steer." Riley said. I tied him up. "There's a cow and calf pair in there so we're going to keep them in the trailer until we get our pen numbers." He said.

I nodded towards the sound of his voice. He took my hand once more walking back inside. "Are you that blind?" That voice. I know that voice. I stopped causing Riley to take notice.

"Come on just ignore him." Riley told me. I continued walking with him. "Beck." The only one that called me that was my ex. I continued walking with Riley.

Barrow snorted. He could sense my uneasiness. I moved closer to Riley. He put an arm around me oblivious of my ex. Once at the show ring he kissed my temple telling me what the hogs looked like.

I rated them from one to ten as the judges would. Then went to twenty. I numbered them off using that as a name for each. A person over the speakers said it was time for cattle. Riley and I walked back to the trailer.

I untied the heifer and held the steer for Riley. "Who's first?" I asked him letting him take the steer. "The heifer. Think you can lead her?" He asked. "I'll try." I said gathering Barrow's harness in my left hand. He kissed my forehead before whistling.

Barrow started forward leading me and the heifer to the ring. Once there Barrow snorted pulling back. I took a step backwards. "Looks like karma really got you back." A familiar voice said. "Where's your next victim? Oh wait you wouldn't be able to see the designated area and would either kill him, miss completely or badly injure him." He said.

"You keep talking like that and I'll cut something else off to go with it." I told him. "You wouldn't be able to see it." He gritted. He has no idea. "Who are you?" I heard Riley ask.

"An old friend of Beck here." My ex said. "Never call me that." I gritted. "Yeah sure sweetheart." He said. I moved closer to Riley. He put an arm around me. "I suggest you leave her alone or else you'll be dealing with me." Riley told him.

He turned and left leaving me with Riley. "Who is he?" Riley asked. "My one and only ex." I answered. "What did he do to have that done?" He asked. "I'll tell you later." I said. He squeezed me close before letting me go.

"I told the judges about your small disability. They said you may use your seeing eye animal if you want to. He was trained to do this also when he was trained." Riley told me. I nodded.

Since the heifer can't lead itself or me around the ring I'd have to use Barrow. Once my turn came to show the heifer Barrow led us out. No one said a word as I led the heifer around stopping to show the judges. Barrow knew to stay out of the way of both me and the heifer.

They dismissed me and Barrow led us out. "I'll take her back if you'll hold him." Riley said handing me the steer. Once he was back he brushed my hand letting me give the steer to him.