Chapter 4

Authors Note: Here with another chapter! You can thank me now, or you can thank me later... preferably now... with a review... Ahem, anyways, hope you enjoy!

~-~-~

I found a place to stay. Not permanently- don't worry I haven't given up that easily- but a good enough place for now. The perfect place to wait, and prepare. 

Two years ago there was a bad, bad accident about and hour away from my house. Someone was texting and driving near a park. It was a teenage girl, talking to her friend about fun weekend plans and parties and social activities and sleepovers and stuff I'll never know about. The girl hears a scream, so she looks up from her phone. A little boy is running if front of her car. A swerve, a scream, a slam on the breaks. It all happened so fast, and later, by the time the police and fire department and ambulance arrived, the girl was dead in front of the large oak tree she smashed into. How do I know all of this? I feel it. The girl was here before me, she lived under this oak tree too. 

Maybe she shared some of my regrets. How could she have been that stupid? How could I? Her family cried, and wept, and mourned. Someone, a boyfriend or mother maybe, placed a little white cross underneath the tree near the park to honor her daughters death. 

This is where I made my home. The large oak was huge, standing there hundreds of years probably. At night the wind would sway through it, giving it a piercing haunting howl that only a ghost could appreciate. Sometimes it rained. I was excited during the first storm. I ran out from under the tree, and into the middle of the park. I spun around and around, waiting to be drenched with a little piece of the heaven I pushed away. Unsurprisingly, I felt no rain, no water on my hallow spirit skin. It tickled, and went through me. Inside me. Drenching me with something other than water. Every single drop that hit my skin said whispered something that meant more than words. You are despicable. You are dead. See what you miss? See what you can never feel again? Sorrow. Pain. Suffering. You caused this. This is your fault. See what you will never feel again?

Other days were better. Sometimes I was able to outsmart the huge oak that gave me no shade, or the storms that gave me know relief. Sometimes when school was out the little kids would come out and play soccer, or tag. I spent a lot of time studying- no - learning. I learned that I still had a chance at something. I learned that sometimes, I could do terrible, terrible things. Sometimes it's fun messing with peoples minds. I would slowly, gently slip into the body of a little boy, just in time to score the winning goal, then drift out again to let him work out for himself what happened. It was nothing very harmful to them. Just a little mind games. I had to have some fun, right? 

Soon enough though, I grew tired of my same spot underneath the tree. I felt I had learned enough, and that it was time for me to move on. Sometimes, but rarely, I would drift quickly into someone's house and take control long enough for me to move their keys from one end of the house to the other. When I left their body right where I had found it, I would stand back and watch them look frantically for their keys. It was pretty funny sometimes. 

Little pieces of weird guilt would travel through my mind at times. What are you doing? I thought. Oh, I'm not hurting anyone. Besides, I deserve to have a bit of fun sometimes. It's not like they notice.

That brings me to where I am now. Trying to make a decision. It's time for me to act, and by act, I mean regain life. I've finally figured out the perfect way to do it, but now I just need a suitable host. Yes. Host. And I know what you're thinking, "Host? You don't mean to tell me you're going to possess someone! Honestly Nikki, you've become some sort of monster. How do you live with yourself? Oh wait. You don't," Because I'm dead! 

Now listen, I'm not doing something entirely unheard of. I've worked out some odds in my head. I'll just search around for a bit until I find someone who has reached the point I reached. I'll wait until they make the plans for their suicide, then I'll step in and take control. It's a good thing I'm doing! I'm saving them, and saving their family from grief. They won't have to experience what I experienced. I'll just put their spirit into a long, long, long sleep, then I'll live the life I was never given. Simple as cake. No harm done. Right? 

I've looked at several girls so far, trying to find the one with the most potential. Now I think I've found one. Her name is Melissa, and she's got a nice family, and weird friends, but she's got the potential to be stunningly beautiful. Just like me, she doesn't quite see her beauty for what it is, and now she's pushing everyone away. All of the signs are there, and she's obviously clinically depressed. She's about sixteen years old, a little older than I was, but I have a feeling it won't matter that much. My first taste of high school! Won't this be exciting? 

~-~-~

Authors Note: So, it might not be my best chapter... but the rising action is beginning! And it will definitely get better from here.... Vote! Comment! Fan! :D Thanks guyzez..... 

-DreamWithWords