XIII. A Fantastic Thanksgiving (part one)

So...I've decided to add accents to my writing... Let me know if it's OK or...weird. If you guys dig it, I'll write it like that from now on, but if you guys think it's unbearably horrendous, please let me know too! Hopefully I'm not disrespecting anyone, I was just testing it out and I'm in no way trying to disrespect. Also, if some of you readers have any of these accents, I would love to have some pointers and let me know if I made mistakes! Thanks very much! ^_^ Since you guys are avidly reading this story and liking it so far, I've written another long chapter! VivaLaSwanQueen! <3

It had been a very long and difficult day and the sun had started to set. The light rays shone through the window casting a soft light on Emma's hand as she held her mug of hot chocolate with cinnamon on top. She was sitting in one of the booths at Granny's diner pondering about what had happened to her at the grocery store this morning. She had just gotten over the initial shock and was now ready to analyze the whole situation. What the fuck were you thinking, dad?

David Nolan... Nolan used to be Emma's last name since the day she was born up until the beginning of high school, about five years ago. Neal had just turned six then. It was a messy divorce and when Neal was told that he couldn't see his father anymore, he became distraught and distant. It took a while for Neal to recover, but since that time, he never trusted another man that wanted to be with his mother. Who could blame him? He was traumatized at an early age when he needed a father the most. Although David Nolan was out of their family picture, he still had contact with his daughter. At first, Emma too was traumatized and didn't trust men since. Their healing was a slow and long process. It took four years for Emma to accept her father. He even sent her, her favorite combat boots for her eighteenth birthday on Valentine's Day. She never really enjoyed her birthday especially since it was the same day to celebrate love. Emma hadn't felt love in her heart since the day her father left. Whenever she saw lovers celebrating, she felt that her birthday was inferior and insignificant and just rolled her eyes at the cringe worthy lovers who had love written all over their face and body. They're gonna break up sooner or later. No such thing as forever. Emma would always say to herself.

"Damn, Emma," Ruby teased, interrupting Emma's thought. "You've had four servings already since cousin Onyx's garage." She chuckled and added, "I swear if that hot chocolate had any alcohol in it, you'd be scrambling on the way home."

Without enthusiasm, Emma replied, "It helps me to calm my nerves."

"Well, that's good to know you have a stomach made of steel. If it were me to drink that much, though, I'd be having the shits all day," Ruby joked. No one laughed. Belle was too busy typing something on her laptop and Emma was absentmindedly focused on her mug, lightly rubbing it with her thumbs. Ruby shook her head and added, "So, what are you guys doing for Thanksgiving tomorrow?"

"I'm joining my beau for a company dinna tomorrow," Belle replied with a thick Australian accent, not glancing away from her typing.

"Nice, me too!" Ruby exclaimed.

Emma snapped out from her daze and looked at her friend with great curiosity. "Wait, what? You have a beau now too Rubes?"

"Yep!" Ruby said excitedly. "We met a while back. Granny catered for one of his company events about a month ago that I waitressed."

"Oh yes, I rememba you mentioning you've met someone at a party. I didn't think you two started dating." Belle said as she recalled her past conversation with Ruby and added with a prying smile, "Is he gewd looking?"

"You bet!" Ruby gladly answered. "He's a lawyer too."

"Oh, that's heaps gewd!" Belle replied ecstatically who now had shifted her glance from her laptop to her friend. "Congrats Rubes, I'm so happy for ya!