Colorado

This story has been edited & revised as of Dec. 2019.

The only time I was able to "see" the beauty of Colorado was at night. Unless you count me driving to work in the morning, then staring out the window of my cubicle until sunset. I didn't hate my job. I just wanted something more from life.

I had just moved here from my parent's house. I took the job because I needed a fresh start, and a life of my own. Though it was lonely most of the time. My house was situated in a nice neighborhood, but I hadn't made friends with my neighbors yet. I rarely ventured outside on my days off because I was in a slump, unless you count my backyard and the grocery store.

I pulled up to my house and unlatched my door, glancing over to the house that had almost all of it's lights on. There were several cars in the driveway, but I couldn't make out much else. I opened the door to my dog wagging her tail waiting for my return. She was a large, fluffy husky with striking blue eyes. Purebred probably. My parent's let her come with me to "keep me safe" as they said. I affectionately call her Luna.

I unlatched the backdoor to my yard and we both stepped outside. She launched herself into the yard and rolled in the cold grass. I couldn't help but notice the blinding light that was coming from the yard next to mine. There was a lot of commotion and I was desperately trying to figure out what in the hell was going on.

My eyes stopped on a bunch of grown men splashing around in a large blowup pool. They were running around and shooting each other with water guns. It looked like one or two of them had a video camera.

"Oo... Kay.." I muttered.

I stood up and walked to my fence. This was a bad move because all of a sudden they froze. With all eyes on me I heard this roaring laugh that had a hint of wheezing going on. Then the source of the laugh began to wave.

'How did they even see me??' I thought.

Then a voice emitted from one of them with a water gun.

"HEY!! Wanna join us?!" He yelled to me.

He sounded friendly enough, but I wasn't in the mood to be splashed with whatever was in those water guns. There was a barrel sitting beside the pool. That definitely isn't water! The other boys stared at me, almost beckoning for an answer or something.

"N..no thanks!" I managed to yell back. I grabbed Luna as quick as I could and ran inside. She wiggled and barked in protest. I shut my door and locked it. I thought I would be okay here.. I always move right in next to weird neighbors. Either they are too loud, too nosy, or they.. are grown men filming themselves splashing in a pool.

Besides my co-workers, I barely talked to anyone outside of work. I shook it off and changed into my pj's. Climbing into bed, I kept replaying what had just happened in my head before closing my eyes. Luna curled up next to me and her soft snores lulled me to sleep.