12.

It was a little past noon when the two families finally arrived in Thailand, all rested and ready to start their days. "Steve and I have to attend to some business today, so we won't be able to join you guys," Graham informs the families. Steve and Graham had actually been working together for a few years before Lennen had met Duke, so when the dads got the news that their children had become friends, it brought them a lot closer. 

"Since the dads have work to do today, I thought we could spend our first day exploring some temples, if you kids are interested," Elizabeth offers. During the times she couldn't sleep on the long flight, she did some research on what they could do while they were here. 

"That sounds amazing," Lennen responds enthusiastically, ready to start exploring Thailand. They head to the hotel to check in and drop off their things off, then said goodbye to Graham and Steve, not wanting to keep them from their work. More importantly, they were ready to start exploring Thailand.

***

"Okay kids, picture time!" Joyce says, excitedly as they stood outside the last temple of the day, which was their fifth. The kids groaned as the moms insisted to take their pictures at every temple they went to, and it wasn't just one picture at each temple, it was more like twenty. "Okay, now a goofy one." Duke looked at Lennen and then picked her up, so it was like he was giving her a piggyback ride, and Oliver and Kiana did the same thing. "Aw this is such a cute picture. Elizabeth, look at this picture." Joyce hands Elizabeth her phone, showing her the picture. 

"Our parents are weird," Duke tells Lennen, causing her to laugh and nod in agreement. "I'm really glad our families are such good friends. I don't think I could stand to travel with them without you guys."

"You have me!" Kiana says, trying to be mad at her older brother, but unable too. Like Lennen and Oliver, Duke and Kiana were super close, almost to the point that they could be best friends. They looked out for each other, always wanting the best for each other.  

"I'm glad we've gotten to travel with you guys, too; it's been really fun. After six years, I can't imagine travelling without you guys. It's really something I've become accustomed to." Lennen looks at Duke and Kiana, smiling. They've become family in the past six years, people she could always rely on, knowing they'd continue being friends for years to come. She hoped that in the future, she could continue the tradition of travelling with the Petty family. 

"Hey mom, send me that picture!" Like every teenager, Lennen did have social media, though she was the type who hardly posted, and somehow still had hundreds, closer to a thousand, of followers. She had decided to post the picture the moms thought was the "absolute cutest", and she had to agree. The four kids looked great, their faces plastered with genuine smiles, and the temple behind them was stunning. She posted in on Instagram, tagging her brother, Duke, and Kiana, and put in the location with the caption: 'temple exploring'. 

***

It was nearing midnight back in Costa Mesa, though that didn't matter because it was a Friday night, and Jonas was at Dorian's house with Cruz, Miles, and Holden. Dorian, Miles, and Cruz were drinking away, playing a drinking game they just thought of and wanted to test it out, seeing if they could start it at parties. Holden wanted to stay sober because he had a date with Sawyer tomorrow and didn't want to be hungover. Jonas just wasn't in the mood, maybe because he was missing Lennen. This was the first time during the school year that Jonas went an entire day without seeing Lennen, and frankly he wasn't a fan of it. He enjoyed her company, talking to her, listening to what she had to say. He sat on the couch, next to Holden, both on their phones, scrolling through social media. Jonas stopped when he saw Lennen's picture on his feed. He stared, not being able to keep his eyes off it. 

 "Do you know this guy?" Jonas asks Holden, curious to know who the guy was. Holden looked at the picture and shrugged his shoulders. Jonas knew Lennen liked him, she told him herself, but there was something about this picture that didn't sit right with him. He studied the picture some more, immediately recognizing that the other guy was her younger brother, but he had no idea who the other guy and girl were. He looked at the tag 'Duke Petty', then clicked the name, only to find that his account was private. Jonas turns to his friends, who were only a little tipsy as they had a high alcohol intolerance. "Do you guys know who Duke Petty is?" 

"Oh yeah, Duke! He's the best, man. He went to our school freshman and part of sophomore year, but transferred to Sage Hill in Newport. We were friends in middle school and I still chill with him at parties," Miles responds. "Why?"

"He's in Thailand with Lennen," Jonas answers. "And apparently so is his sister." Jonas shows them the photo that showed up on his feed, not thrilled when he heard that "he was the best". 

"Oh, no way! He and Lennen dated for over a year during sophomore and a little into junior year. We were all friends in middle school because of Margo. They've been friends for as long as I could remember and they're still good friends. Their families are super close too, they travel together all the time." Despite being a little tipsy, Miles remembers their friendship/relationship clearly. "Ow!" Miles says after Cruz slapped him upside the head. 

"Don't say that! Jonas doesn't need to hear about Lennen's ex-boyfriend and how they're off in Thailand right now, doing who knows what," Cruz tells Miles. "Don't worry about it Jonas. According to Miles, they're just friends."

"Yeah, man. They've been broken up for like a year and half now, and I remember Margo telling me that it was a mutual break up. They were both too busy for a relationship," Miles tells Jonas. "I really doubt they'd get back together. Besides, you told us that Lennen told you that she liked you."

"She's just not like most girls. She's special and I was supposed to go on a date with her tonight, but she had to fly to Thailand at some ridiculous hour this morning. Now she's in a foreign country with her ex-boyfriend. This isn't exactly what I wanted to see." 

"What's your deal with her anyway?" Dorian asks. Jonas never told his friends how he truly felt about Lennen, just that he liked her, and he only told them after he and Summer broke up. 

"I've been in love with her since sophomore year. Everything about her is etched permanently into my brain. She's the girl I've always pictured myself with, the girl that you could take home to your parents, knowing they would love her instantly. She's the most beautiful girl I have ever seen, and ever since I met her, I knew that she was the one I wanted."