8.

"It's time to present your ecosystems," Ms. Schmidt informed her class. Everyone was sitting at the lab tables with their partners, ecosystems out, ready for presentations. "Up first we have Sawyer and Holden." The two walked up to the front of the class and Sawyer started explaining the facts about their ecosystem, while Holden pointed at the parts that mimicked what Sawyer was saying. Jonas and Lennen were laughing quietly to themselves as their friends presented their project. While Sawyer was more than comfortable speaking in front of crowds, Holden looked like he was going to throw up any minute. "Great work you two," Ms. Schmidt said when they were finished, and the class was clapping. "Up next, Jonas and Lennnen."

Luckily over the break, Lennen was able to get Jonas to learn everything about their ecosystem, so they were ready for their presentation today. Jonas was in charge of the facts, and Lennen was going to show how their ecosystem mimicked the facts, like Holden and Sawyer did. "Absolutely amazing job." Lennen smiled at Ms. Schmidt and then Jonas, happy they were able to pull of the project in the short amount of time. 

"I can't believe you guys pulled that off," Holden tells them when they get back to the lab table they were sharing. 

"It was all Lennen," Jonas says, smiling down at Lennen. He was more than grateful that Lennen was no longer mad at him. He knew that she could have just as easily told Ms. Schmidt that she did the entire project on her own and let him fail. Plus, the feeling he got when Lennen was mad at him was something he never wanted to feel again. The only thing he wanted was to see Lennen happy, be the one that made her happy. Jonas thought that at some point he would have to tell her that he and Summer had broken up the week before Christmas break started. 

"I'm usually not one to brag, but you're right. It was all me," Lennen laughs, and so do her three friends who sat with her. As much as Lennen had hoped that her crush on Jonas had disappeared, it easily came back every time she saw him smile. Curse his nice smile...and kind eyes. No matter how hard she tried, or told herself it wasn't right, she couldn't get over Jonas. For the rest of the presentations, Lennen tried to pay attention, but she found herself continously glancing at Jonas. 

"Lennen, wait up," Jonas calls, slowly jogging to catch up with her. APES was over and Lennen was headed toward Student Council, and Jonas was desperate to talk to her. Lennen stopped in her tracks, and turned around, searching for who called her name. When she saw Jonas walking toward her, she smiled.

"Hey, Jonas. What's up?" Lennen says with a heartwarming smile. She wasn't sure what Jonas wanted to talk to her about since they were done with their APES project, and she wouldn't be needing to talk to him for her article until the end of the month. Also not to mention, Jonas' next class was on the other side of the school. However, she was more than happy to be talking to him, no matter the subject. 

"I was just wondering what you were doing this weekend." Jonas wasn't sure if this was technically asking Lennen on a date, though it was what he wanted, and has been wanting for two years now. The only reason he dated Summer was to help him get over Lennen, which worked and he did genuinely like Summer, but that all changed when Lennen came back into his life. After he had asked the question, he had quickly remembered that he still hasn't told Lennen that he and Summer had broken up.

"I'm not really sure. Why?" Lennen was curious as to why Jonas was asking about her weekend plans, as really the only time the two properly hung out outside of school was at Dorian's party a few months ago.  

"I was just thinking that maybe we could do something." This is the most nervous Jonas has ever been. He always knew the right thing to say when talking to the ladies, but Lennen was unlike every other girl he chatted up. She was the girl of his dreams, the one he had been wanting to have since sophomore year when he first laid eyes on her. He knows perfectly well that Lennen could have any guy she wanted since she was beyond beautiful, more perfect than any guy could ever imagine. 

"I'll have to make sure I'm not doing anything, but that sounds fun," Lennen responds with a smile. She never in a million years would think Jonas would want to hang out with her, but here the opportunity is presenting itself to her. Sometimes she had to her randomly pack for weekend trips because of her dad's business, so she was praying they she didn't have to this weekend because it's been a while since they've traveled. "I'll text you." 

"Cool," Jonas says, trying to remain cool, not wanting Lennen to know how happy he really was. He walked away from Lennen towards his next class with a smile on his face. After two years, he was finally able to be with the one girl of his dreams. Sure, it may not exactly be a date, but they needed to start somewhere and he was going to take any opportunity he could get. The next two and a half days could not go by quick enough.