Ch. 26 - Metamorphosis

Start from the beginning

"Who are you?" He mutters between his teeth. Valentine is keeping a rather refined and composed stature, despite the fact that this foolish vampire is testing what's left of the patience in his body.

The vampire lunges at Valentine and points the dagger at his neck, quickly morphing into Valentine again. The blade, still stained with Saphira's blood, hits his neck with force, almost slicing it open. If Valentine weren't so strong his head would be rolling on the floor not the intruders.

There's a power when you see your own reflection show you something you need to see or learn, like an epiphany one receives when they watch themselves move in a mirror. The impact is even enough to change you. There is an even stronger power when you see your own body try to kill you. Much like anyone else would be in this situation, Valentine is struck with an awful sense of self-doubt.

Watching his clone attempt to slice his neck renders him immobile and he growls loudly, trying his hardest to push him off. Valentine clears his mind and focuses on something else other than his own eyes staring right into his. With his powers, he creates a force field between them that flings the pretender across the room. "You can imitate anyone, their appearance and their voice, but you cannot imitate their powers."

"I don't need their powers," the vile man spits.

Valentine straightens himself and levitates the vampire in the air. "Tell me that after you're dead." Valentine gives a quick gesture with his hand and weapons from the walls start floating swiftly towards the scared imitator.

When the blades are only inches from him, he opens his mouth to speak. "Wait! Stop, If I tell you who I am, will you spare my life?"

Valentine laughs and walks toward his levitating victim. "Don't push your luck."

"You're a hard man to kill, Valentine," the copycat is calm as the weapons are pressed right against his skin. He makes one final transformation, an appearance that is not familiar to Valentine. "It's a shame you don't know who is out to kill you, they could be right under your nose."

"I'll take my chances."

"You royals are always so haughty and proud. You'd rather watch your family die than actually fix the problem. First, Cassandra and now your girlfriend." The blades have punctured his skin but Valentine halts them. "I know who poisoned your sister and it wasn't Datura."

His speech is enough to make Valentine ardently make all of the objects in the room rattle and drop, making loud thuds against the walls and floor, including his victim. Valentine picks him up by his shirt and extends his fangs. It is then that a pair of guards rush in, accompanied by Amaryllis. Gasps fill the room.

"Valentine." His name is called but he ignores, letting them stand by to watch the quarrel between two powerful vampires.

"I will spare your life just this once. You tell me who sent you and why, understood?" The intruder nods quickly and Valentine let's him fall limply to the floor. "You'll stay in the dungeon until further notice."

With a menacing scowl, Valentine shoves the nameless vampire into the awaiting guards. "Careful with this one, he transfigures at will. Keep him in the dungeon."

He gives him a hard stare, silently contemplating on the methods he will use for torture, but it changes when his eyes fall on a kneeling Ari.

Her dress which always seems to flow without air has fallen around Saphira, blanketing her in midnight sheer.

"She's lost a lot of blood," the white haired witch says, making Valentine's skin ruffle with anxiety.

"Will she make it?"