Chapter 27

Ellie POV

I watch almost in slow motion as the bone snaps and tears through my wrist. I bite hard on my cheek, refusing to give him any satisfaction.

"Tell me what I want to know," Cortez sneers at me as he pours more wolfsbane onto the wound.

"I can't give you what you want," I glare at him, unable to hold back my scream as he jams my wrist back into place.

"I believe you can," Cortez smiles before turning his attention to Rolfe, "Maybe you just need a motivator, huh Rolfe? Why don't we give the Luna a reason to talk?"

Cortez picks up a knife from the side table before slicing across Rolfe's arm. I watch as his face contorts in pain. But like me, he tries not to let it show. That is until Cortez brings in one of his witches.

"I want the cure, Luna. Now you either give me what I want, or you watch as my witch friend here sucks all of the air out of your dear uncle's lungs."

The witch lifts her hands in front of Rolfe's face as his features deform. His cheeks swell in as the air from his lungs is sucked out of his body.

"You know what," Cortez smiles at his witch, "Let's push the pressure higher," Doing another movement with her hands, the witch starts pushing air into his body. Rolfe tries to scream from the pain, but no sound comes out, "Do you know what it's like? To have so much pressure in your body that your brain feels like it's going to explode at any moment," he grabs my face and he forces me to watch as Rolfe screams even louder, "The sheer pain of feeling every one of the cells in your lungs burst, of feeling your entire body push against itself."

Cortez laughs as Rolfe screams again, "I don't think she gets it," the witch speaks.

Cortez glances down at me, "I don't either. Why don't you increase the pressure?

The witch smiles back before moving in front of Rolfe again to start the spell. Rolfe's pain increases as his cry echoes the room.

I can't let him go through this.

"Stop!" The witch freezes at my outburst as tears start to form behind my eyes. But I refuse to shed them, "Stop. I'll do what you want. Just stop torturing him. Please."

Cortez kneels in front of me, "Now that's what I want to hear," he says smiling before telling the witch to leave and turning his attention back to me, "Now, where is the witch who cursed me?"

I sit there, shocked.

How could he know I knew who it was? I have only told one person about Aurora. Axton would not betray that information to Cortez. Would he?

Mate did not tell anyone! Raelynn cries, Someone must have been listening.

But no one else was in the room, Raelynn. So how does Cortez know that Aurora isn't dead?

I don't know, but he doesn't know who she is. It wasn't mate!

A realization goes through me as I think about who, The spy. The spy Michael talked about. He said that there is a spy within the pack and they are the one who wanted me and Axton apart. They are working with Cortez to destroy the Alpha's family.

They must still be there. They had to be in the room when we said that we knew who it was. But who? she asks.

"She's dead, you told me that yourself," I start but I just receive a punch in the face instead.

Cortez pulls back, "Now we both know that the witch who did this to me is somehow still breathing. I want to know where she is."

"I don't know where she is," I lie through my teeth. I will not put my brother's mate and pack in danger.