Chapter 14: Down, Down, Down.

(Sarah's POV)

So we started walking up the mountain.  Let me tell you, it is no easy task to hike up a mountain on a narrow path.  It takes forever, and you've got to go at a slower pace in order to not plummet to your death.  So we were walking, for a couple of hours or so, and those dark, menacing clouds were above us and starting to rain.

"They were faster than I thought," I said, getting worried.  Looking up ahead, I called out, "Thorin, those clouds are above us, and we aren't even halfway up the mountain!"  "We keep moving!" he called back.  Man, that guy makes me so frustrated sometimes, I thought to myself.  I decided to head over to Fili and Kili and get their opinion on the matter. "Hey, just so you know, there's gonna be a rock giant battle in a few minutes. Just thought I'd give you a heads up."

They looked at me as if I had feet for eyes, and then they realized they I wasn't lying.  "Uncle," Kili started, "Maybe we should turn around?"  Thorin stopped and turned himself around to look at us, his expression cold.  "I advise you to keep moving.  We must reach the other side.  It is nearly nightfall, and we must make haste."  "Well, I mean, there is shelter if we turn around," Bilbo said quietly, shrugging and glancing up at the clouds.  Thorin heard him and said, "If we turn around, we could be attacked by Azog's orcs.  And I don't think anyone would want that anytime soon."

So there was no point in turning around or stopping now.  "I can't believe this..," I muttered to myself, frowning and worrying about this whole ordeal.  "Well, since you know so much about our misfortunes, do we make it out alive?" Bilbo asked out of nowhere.  It seemed like he held his breath before I answered, "Yeah, we live."  He sighed with relief. "Although you almost fall off a cliff," I pointed out, "But you see, I'm not in the story, so I have no idea what's going to happen to me." "Wait what-what?!?" stuttered the hobbit, giving me a look, "I almost fall off a cliff?!?"  "Well, yeah," I continued, "But don't worry, the others catch you."  He looked straight ahead, worry written all over his face. "Well thank you for that little piece of information," he said quietly, sticking his hands into his pockets.

"I'm sorry," I replied, realizing I probably should've kept that to myself before adding, "But if you faint again, I gotchu."  He looked at me and asked, "What do you mean again?"  "That night back in Baggend," I explained, "When Bofur was describing Smaug, you passed out. I was the one that caught you and put you in your chair."  "Oh. So that's how I got there," he said in realization.  I nodded and added, "You're not too much taller than my little brother."  I stopped talking and continued walking quietly with the realization that I was homesick.  My phone had died, but even with full battery it couldn't send any messages to my mom or dad.  There were no bars,and I had lost track of how many days I had been away from home.  I guestimated about three months or more, but without Gandalf I couldn't tell.

Bilbo must have noticed my silence because he quietly said, "I am sorry, Sarah.  You needn't continue, if it's too much for you."  I sighed and explained, "It's not that I can't deal with being away from home. I've done it before. It's just... I have no way back."  Glancing down at him, I smiled a half smile and said, "But thank you for caring."  We remained silent as we continued walking, but I continued to think about how I'd get home. Lady Galadriel's magic was now the focal point of my thoughts.

"What's wrong, Sarah?" Fili asked.  I looked up and inwardly cursed myself for letting my disappointment show.  The brothers both made their way over to me, and Kili held my arm.  "What is troubling you?" he asked sympathetically.  I chuckled, although there was nothing funny about it.  "It's just..." I started, "I miss my family.  And I can go a long time without them, but I might not see them again."  Kili glanced at Fili and said, "We know how you feel.  But I couldn't imagine going without my brother."  I nodded and sniffed.  "But anyway, I'm fine. This humidity is giving me a drippy nose," I lied with a chuckle, proceeding to wipe my nose with my shirt.  Kili gently pat my hand in understanding, and I returned it by holding his.