"If the soldiers haven't found us by now, I don't think they will," he said, handing Bennet the reins of the chestnut gelding. "If I know Houndsley, he wouldn't have had his men go more than a few miles searching for us. He will be awaiting orders from his superiors before making any real plans to chase us." He looked to Zephyr, who was still not quite awake and couldn't put together a response, before continuing.

"I think we should be ok to backtrack to the road, what do you think Bennet?"

"I think we are definitely going to need some tack for these horses, we won't be able to ride this way all the way to Faron," Bennet responded before mounting his horse with a wince.

Zephyr took a deep breath of the cold morning air to clear her head, and addressed the men.

"We still have some money left from Agitha's pouch," she said, forcing herself not to cringe as she said the woman's name. "There are more farms within a couple hours ride if we head toward Faron. But this time," she started with a glance at both men, "I would much rather knock on their door and offer to pay for the things we need. No more stealing, if we can help it."

"We can't very well send you to the door!" Bennet laughed.

"He's right," Jasper said in agreement. "You're much too memorable, with that hair."

Zephyr blushed at the statement. Jasper's eyes darted away from her own and he continued quickly.

"And for all we know there could be wanted posters plastered over the entire continent with your face on them. Bennet and I will have to take care of dealing with any people we encounter from now on. We may be deserters, but people won't be watching for us for at least a couple more days, until word gets out of what we've done."

"The queen could have soldiers everywhere looking for you though," Bennet added, pausing before continuing. "Are... Are you sure you don't know why the soldiers came after you and your mother?" Jasper shot Bennet a glare.

"No, it's ok," Zephyr said, trying to soothe Jasper's concern. "I guess I'll need to get used to talking about it." She mounted her horse before continuing. "Maybe we can talk and ride at the same time?"

In response, Jasper climbed onto his mount and took the lead back the way they had come the night before. Zephyr followed and Bennet trotted up beside her. The trail was just wide enough for the two horses to walk side by side. Zephyr cleared her throat, blocking out the emotions threatening to creep into her voice, and turned to Bennet.

"Agitha isn't... wasn't my mother," she began. "She found me crying on the side of the road as a toddler and took me in. Until I read that letter last night, I hadn't the faintest idea that she was at all connected to the queen, to rebels, to anyone outside our little town."

Bennet seemed to be thinking about what she had said.

"Do you remember your family? I mean, before Agitha?," he asked.

"Not really. Occasionally a flash of a face will pop into my mind from before, but that's all. I've never really cared that I can't remember much, I've always been happy in Bremerton with Agitha. But now I'm beginning to wonder just what all was kept hidden from me."

Bennet didn't respond immediately and Zephyr was left with her thoughts. She didn't feel anger towards Agitha for keeping secrets from her, she trusted the woman and her intentions completely. She did wonder though. Obviously Agitha was involved in something big, and Zephyr felt that it must have been something that began before she came into Agitha's life. Another question screamed to life in her mind. Had Agitha known that Zephyr would manifest a Gift? Jasper's thoughts seemed to be headed in that same direction.