Mother was holding out my ceremonial dress to me. "I had a feeling you would be running a bit late."

I grinned as I caught my breath. "Thanks. I think I'll be ok on my own though. I don't have time to change completely."

Sincerity stretched across her round, chubby face. She placed the dress into my hands and then placed a hand on my shoulder. She's so cute when she reaches for my shoulder. "I'll start on the food then. How does a nice something baked inside some sweet bread sound?"

Of course she would mention my favorite dessert. I'd have been appalled if she didn't. "But mother, I thought you would have already made the food?"

"And let it get cold? I don't think so. Like I said, I figured you'd be late. Don't worry, I've prepared the things I need to start quickly. It'll be ready by the time you come back dear. I'm excited for you Kyra." Her wide, hazel eyes sparkled, emphasizing her Nature. It wasn't just her short height that made her so grounded. The Earth element was always her main domain.

"Thanks but can you go now? I really need to change. Well, sort of change." Already I was taking off the majority of my weapon's gear. There were still three more straps to go. "Ugh! I just can't be late!"

Mother started to walk away, her sincere smile still across her face. If I wasn't in such a hurry, I'm sure I would still be smiling with her. "I understand dear. I'll leave the door wide open for you. Wouldn't want you to run into the door again."

Her giggle faded down the stairs as I continued with my clothes. Gently, I pulled the my ceremonial dress over my head. After the dress settled into place, I headed for the mirror, hoping the result wasn't too horrible. My chest bulked outward a bit more than usual thanks to the underclothing. Not that anyone would gasp at the size. If it was Ariel...

A shake of my head brought me back to the task at hand. I pulled the sleeves of my normal wear down beneath my dress, thankful how even though the dress hugged the outsides of my shoulders tightly; the sleeves flowed outward, disguising my arms from any close inspection.

The tailor must have worked hard on this deep, luscious red colored dress. As I switched my sandals with some simple, neutral brown slippers, the intricate swirls of the roaring fire design at the bottom of the dress, fading away a bit above the knee, danced around in my mind's eye. The oranges, the bright reds, and the yellows mingled and blended with each other, singing the song of my Nature, the Nature of a Firelin.

This day will be the day. Finally, I would get my chance to receive the full power of Mother Nature. We shall always be indebted to her strength. None of us will have existed without Mother Nature, without her creating the elements; Fire, Water, Earth, and Air. Her grace has even allowed us to control the elements to our will and today, I'll get to be ranked among the many Fighters in Andova.

Checking one last time in the mirror, I ran out my room, down the stairs, and out the open door.

~<**********>~

Do bows always take this long?

My eyes never left the Fighter's boots. To think, I'd get my own pair of boots soon. I began to count my blinks to figure out how much time had passed. I would be late. There was no mistaking it.

The Fighter's boots shifted back to facing my way, his shadow indicating I was safe. "Go on ahead. The ceremony has already begun."

I pushed against the small white gravel, which attempted to pierce through my slippers, with as much force my foot would allow, hoping the burst would help. The ten feet tall, rustic, charcoal doors creaked as they opened before me. I slipped through the crack of the still opening doors, sprinting across the empty, front hall. Every step I took along the blue strip leading to the Ceremonial Hall echoed in my ears.