So why was I feeling so breathless with a sheer amount of pain? 

~~~~

I came home later today with lingering pain in my chest. When I was finally visible to Asami, Mako had offered to take her home. Knowing how much she liked Mako, I couldn't stand in the way of her happiness even though it hurt me.

I made up and excuse and told Asami that I had to go "grocery shopping". She gave me a look which in our language meant thank you. She left the school gates with Mako, while I headed to the opposite direction towards the local convenient store. There, I spent hour, looking at magazines about tips about "how to wear makeup for your first date" and Top 10 diet tips". It was not how I wanted to spend my Wednesday evening.

But it was for Asami, which made it a little easier.

Staring at the ceiling of an empty house, was usually what I would find myself doing whenever I got home. I would find some comfort in doing so, but tonight it was different. It was like my thoughts were preventing me from being at peace. I was just flooded with thoughts about Asami and Mako together. I pondered on what they might be doing right now. I kept thinking about what kind of face Asami might be wearing in front of Mako. I wondered how glittery her eyes would've been staring at someone she might be in love with.

But the more I thought about it, the more it hurt.

My thoughts were then interrupted my the sound of my door bell ringing. It was 9 at night and I wasn't expecting anyone to come over.

I opened the door to see my drunk father, swaying left to right. I rolled my eyes and caught him, before he completely passed out on the front porch. It took every ounce of my strength to carry him to the couch, I know I'm athletic and quite strong, but my father had a big physique.

I sighed and looked at him. His hair was ruffled and greasy. His suit was crimpled. His tie was undone and his facial hair grew. He was a mess.

"Dad." I said as I shook him awake. "You didn't tell me you were coming home?"

"This is my house, I come home when I want to." he stated bluntly.

Wow. Classic. Meet my father everybody! An alcoholic workaholic.  He's always sticking around his workplace, he rarely came home and never had time for my mother and I. I was getting sick of it. In fact, my parents both had no time for me.

The only time I ever saw my parents were during "The Gatherings" that my parents would organise for family and friends, which was basically an excuse for the both of them to flaunt their riches and success. I never had interest in it, so I would usually run up to my room after greeting everyone superficially. I was never the type to find satisfaction in shoving my wealth in front of other people, but my parents were. To everyone else, we were the perfect privileged family. Nobody knew how messed up this family actually is.

Here I am, staring at my father, contemplating if there ever was a time where he came home sober, on time for dinner and together with my mother. It seemed like a memory that never truly existed.

I couldn't stand looking at my father being so pathetic. I escaped to my room, holding back the frustration. I didn't need this. What I needed was my parents home and sober, supporting me and loving me, like any child should be getting. I tried my best to hold back the tears, but a few droplets escaped.

I hate this.

I climbed onto my bed. I needed someone to talk to. I called my best friend.

Asami picked up the phone after four rings.

"Hello?" She said with a coarse voice.

Asami knew everything about my family circumstances. She found out when she visited me unexpectedly after she knew where I lived. She overheard my parents arguing as she stood at the my door. I happened to run into her with tears in my eyes as I was about to storm out of the house. I remember how pained she looked when she saw me. But it wasn't pity, it was more mutual understanding. Later that night, we strolled to the park and sat at the swings. She then told me about her divorced parents and how awful it was for her. Before then I always thought Asami was this cheerful girl that had everything she ever wanted. Hearing her tell me all about the nights she cried herself to sleep, the times when she stood out in the cold winter nights waiting for her parents to pick her up and the arguments she was forced to listen to, put everything I thought about her into a different perspective.

"Asami.." I whispered, as my voice cracked. I could feel the tears threatening to flood.  

"Hey, tell me what happened." she whispered. Her voice was like a lullaby to me. It made me feel safe at my darkest moments.

I proceeded to tell her everything. How my own father was being a prick, how my own mother didn't even care, and how my life was a total and utter mess. I poured everything to her.

She listened on the other side of the phone. That is how Asami is. Whenever I needed her, she would be there in a heartbeat. She listened to everything I told her, silently. The sound of her breathing was my only way of knowing she was still there.

"Listen to me." she finally said after 45 minutes of silence. "I know how hard it is." her voice resonated in my ears and managed to calm me down.

"I've been there before." Asami continued. "But always remember Korra," she paused.

"I'll always be here with you."

Hearing those words from Asami, gave me hope. It gave me the resolve that I needed to continue on. Those few words reminded me of the only source of happiness I had in a world that only provided heartbreak. Every time I hear her soft, warm voice, it pulls me out of the dark abyss that life tosses me in and wraps me in a beautiful embrace.

I only hope that this feeling never ends.