Ch 8 Bang

Chapter Eight

    “You sure this is her,” the gruff voice followed after a prodding foot that had managed to bring Ciel out of unconsciousness. She blinked slowly, finding that her sight was obscured by some form of cloth bag. Her heart skipped a beat when this registered past the fog, but she forced herself to take a deep breath and allow her mind to process everything that had happened before she did anything drastic. Panic, she had learned, did more bad than good.

    She remembered dinner with Sebastian and her aunt clearly and slowly the rest filtered through her groggy mind. The party, the dance with Sebastian, fleeing to the bathroom, the woman- it all slowly came back until she couldn’t remember anymore clearly. The rest came in clips, like picture frames making up a rather choppy film. The woman had pressed something to her face, she’d passed out- Ciel could only assume that they had taken her somewhere.

    “Yes.”

    It was the woman’s voice that filtered through this time and Ciel tried not to squirm at the sound of it. How the bitch even managed to get her out of the party without anyone, let alone Sebastian, noticing was a mystery. Ciel hadn’t noted a window when she’d entered, but perhaps she’d failed to notice it. She hadn’t exactly been in her right mind when she had run in there. A pout appeared on her lips at the memory, but she banished the thoughts as quickly as they filtered in. She’d deal with those later when she wasn’t tied up and blinded.

    “So this is the soon to be Countess Phantomhive... I must admit I’m rather disappointed, I was expecting someone... older,” the first voice mused, laden with a heavy Spanish accent.

    The bag over her head was torn off, leaving her to blink rapidly against the sudden flood of light that briefly blinded her. The room slowly came into focus, bits and pieces registering before the teen could see the full picture. It was an office of sorts, a private home office if she were to guess. She laid down on the ground near the north wall, facing the entrance at the south end. Paintings and other various antiques scattered the decor to make the place feel official like the tomes holding their place in the bookshelf. A man was leaning against the desk not a foot or so away from her, while the woman who’d jumped Ciel in the bathroom earlier was standing near the doorway.

    “Ah, but she has a lovely face. Wouldn’t you agree, my mariposa?” He grinned cheeky, as he kneeled down before her.

    Ciel’s eye narrowed and she lifted her chin up arrogantly, or as much as she could while being in her current position. It wouldn’t do to dignify that remark with a response.

    The man, a male in his later thirties with darker coloring, merely chuckled at her defiance and reached forward to snag her chin with his hand; roughly dragging her upright by it until she was angled awkwardly half-upright and half-lying on her side. It was painful, but she didn’t allow it to effect her features besides the slight tightening of her lips.

    “What do you want?”

    He tipped her chin future upwards with his pointer finger, forcing Ciel to meet his hungry gaze. “It’s simply: prevent the Watchdog from coming back. Your grandfather was enough of a pest, the old dog couldn’t keep his nose out of anyone’s business. It was a relief to hear his son wouldn’t be following in his steps, but you, my sweet mariposa, had to ruin that. We can’t have the queen’s loyal mutt sticking its nose where it’s not wanted.”

    So that was what this was about. It made sense to Ciel, anyone who was working in the shadows would be afraid of the rise of the Phantomhive household. They’d want to protect their sorry excuse of trades in any way they could. This included, and was not limited to, kidnapping. And all this was occurring before the Queen had recieved her acceptance letter, she could only imagine what lengths they would take after it was publicized.