Ch 5 A Devil Becoming

Chapter Five

    “So if I understand this correctly, you were previously contracted to the Earl Ciel Phantomhive but lost his soul through some freak accident. This soul was reincarnated into me, so his soul is my soul and vice versa.”

    Ciel tried not to look tongue tied after she finished trying to sum up what Sebastian had spent the better half of the hour explaining to her. It was hard to grasp, especially with the haze still laying heavily on her mind from the events of last night, but she tried her hardest to understand what she could. She wanted to understand, even if this usually wasn’t her type of thing to believe in. Ciel found she couldn’t dispute it either, not with a demon staring at her from across the room.

    “How does someone lose a soul to begin with?” She asked.

    “By not collecting it in time,” Sebastian gave a grim smile. “Usually a contractor meets their end by the hands of their demon and is consumed, but if something should end a contractor’s life before this and the demon is unable to protect their master then there is a time alloted before the soul departs or is reaped.”

    Ciel frowned thoughtfully, “Once a soul is reaped, how does it come back?”

    “Humans call the process reincarnation, but different beings have different names for it,” he explained. “It’s all basically the same thing; the soul is cleansed and placed in another body to relive life once more. This cycle repeats until the final judgement, where all your sins are placed before God to be made judgement on. Only those who have been consumed by demons are exempt from this and damned to hell without any judgement.”

    Ciel nodded, but something was irking her about his response. If souls were to be cleansed then wouldn’t that mean she’d have no recollection of her previous life? And if that were so then why did she always get the feeling of familiarity, like she’d seen something or known someone before when she’d never encountered them in this life.

    Knowing Ciel all too well, Sebastian sensed what she wasn’t speaking.

    “I have no idea why you have retained some of your memories. Within all right they should be all gone, but your soul seems to want to hang onto them.”

    Ciel sighed and lazed back, wincing slightly when her bad side came into contact with the headboard behind her. “And you, how long have you known I existed?”

    Sebastian smirked, “Only until recently. I was looking out for your soul, planning to take claim of it before another demon could. It was by mere accident that I stumbled across you. At first I believed I was seeing what my mind wanted it to see- the uncanny resembles between my pervious young master and yourself is almost shocking- but when I was able to get a closer look at the restaurant I knew what, or rather, who you were.”

    Ciel chuckled softly, wincing when that caused her pain. “So you didn’t think I’d come back as a Phantomhive?”

    Sebastian looked thoughtful. “No, I don’t believe I considered that outcome. Though I did stick close to this particular area. I suppose you could say I became attached to this place, which is entirely unusually for one of my kind.”

    “So it was you who started those rumors about that damned curse,” Ciel muttered crossly.

    Sebastian’s eyebrows rose up his forehead. “Curse?”

    Ciel sighed and shifted herself around on the bed so she was comfortable once more. “Apparently people have begun to believe that this chamber is cursed and that if anyone enters it they shall met a horrible fate.”