Chapter 21: Whispers Turn to Screams

DISCLAIMER: This chapter deals with some pretty heavy topics. If you experience any grief during or after reading the chapter, I apologize in advance. Thank you.

____________________________

Viewpoint: Kristen

"Kristen! Come downstairs honey! I made you your favorite," my mom yelled.

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and looked at the time. My clock read 9:00 A.M. I looked at the calendar on the wall. It was March 13. In the small box read 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME' in bright red. I hopped onto my floor, while still trying to adjust to the morning. I slipped on my slippers and then walked to my door. As I opened the door there were small toys on the floor. A green dinosaur presented itself right in front of me. As I looked down the hallway I saw that there was a trail of my brother's toys leading downstairs. Being only six, has quite the collection of toys. From dinosaurs to Thomas the Tank Engine, Anthony had it all.

Once I was downstairs, I walked into the dining room. My entire family was there, beaming with excitement.

"Happy birthday, sweetheart!" my dad yelled, as he ran up to kiss me.

"I made you this, Kwissy!" Anthony said, as he held up a drawing of what seemed to be him and me playing with his toys. He still couldn't pronounce my name right.

"I love it!" I smiled.

"My special pancakes for my special girl," my mom said, as she placed a stack of pancakes on the table.

"They smell amazing mom," I said, as I took a long whiff of the pancakes. They smelled better than ever. I sat down at the table and waited for everyone to start eating.

"So what do you want to do today?" My dad asked, as he poured himself a cup of coffee.

I thought for a while. What's there to do in Tennessee?

"Let's go to Gatlinburg," I said, as I shoved almost half a pancake into my mouth.

"Gatlinburg?" my mom said skeptically, "that's a three hour drive into the mountains. Plus it's winter, the roads might be icy."

"Yeah, but I really want to see the fun stuff, y'know?" I said, with slight puppy eyes. "Please?"

My dad took a long sip of his coffee. "Alright sweetheart. It's your special day after all."

My mom sprang from her chair as if she had been shocked on her bum. "I almost forgot!" she exclaimed. She ran into the living room in an excited manner. A few seconds later, she returned with a small German Shepherd.

"Aww!" I squealed. "He's so cute!" My mom placed him in my lap. "Hi there little guy," I said, as I patted his head. He licked my hand all over.

"He's all yours," my dad smiled. "Just don't let your younger brother get to him. He's at that age where he's grabbing everything," he chuckled.

"What should I call you?" I asked, as if it would give me an answer. I thought for a while and came to the decision to name him 'Ace'

"Ace, you like that name?" I asked. He just continuously licked my hand in approval. "You're adorable," I giggled.

"It's nine right now," my dad started, "say, get ready in an hour and we hit the road?" He asked. I bolted out of my chair and hopped in the shower. That took about ten minutes, but my makeup and other stuff took about thirty. It was all the foundation, glow, and the attempts to not poke my eyes out with eyeliner. Man, beauty was hard. I got dressed into a pair of jeans and a crop top (and a light jacket, of course. I don't want to be called a slut for exposing my shoulders). I also endowed my head with a flower crown with white petals, cause ya know, I'm a flower child.