Everything stopped when he felt the hands of Fionna cover his eyes. He took in a sharp gasp and reached up to hold her arm. She had such a strong heart. She was more powerful than the magic, unlike himself and Lad and Cake. She was strong willed and brave. "Keep your eyes closed. Think of happy things." Gumball turned around and hugged her gently, breathing harshly still. He was incredibly grateful she came. He wouldn't have been able to get out of that without her.

"Thank you, Fionna." She blushed and awkwardly patted his arm.

"Uh, sure thing." She answered back. When Bubba opened his eyes again, all he could see was white. He turned around to see his friends and nodded, then pressed on. After walking for what seemed like an eternity, he discovered Marshall lying on the blue platform. He immediately broke into a full on sprint, Fionna darting right behind him.

"Marshall Lee!? Marshall it's me Bubba! Hey!" He dropped down beside him and rubbed his back. He didn't look any different and there was nothing odd.

"I bet he couldn't escape the scary memories and it made his pass out." She mentioned. "Or maybe he's crying wolf for attention." Bubba rubbed Marshall a little harder and patted him, wondering why he was so still. He understood that Marshall didn't need to breathe in air, so he wasn't really concerned. If the vampire had passed out, he wouldn't be breathing nor would his heart be beating. Fionna frowned deeper. "Marshall get up. This joke really isn't funny anymore, and it never was to start with. You can get attention some other way." With that, she pulled him onto his back, revealing the dagger that was sticking out of his chest. Fionna jumped back, hands over her mouth. It was really... actually... through his heart.

The whole entire world stopped for Bubba. Everything he ever remembered was suddenly gone from his head, except for one objective. Save Marshall's life. He straddled Marshall's body and carefully removed the dagger, then threw it far to the side. He unbuttoned his coat and discovered that is was soaked with blood. It had absorbed it like a sponge, preventing a puddle. He tore open the purple undershirt and examined the wound, then opened one of Marshall's eyes. He lifted a lid to see a glossed over red eye, the pupil restricted to a slit. He bit the inside of his cheek and glided straight into CPR, unsure of how Marshall's always lifeless body could be sparked back to life.

He started with puffs of air into his mouth, only to be spattered with lukewarm blood in his face. He only blinked and began to pump his chest. He rested an ear over his mouth, trying to feel for breath. Nothing. He repeated this six times before slowing down, realizing the Marshall was long gone. Fionna was only able to stare in a horrified shock as she watched her friend try to save her other friend's life, and fail. Cake picked her up and took her away so she didn't have to see it anymore, incredibly afraid herself. What had happened to him?

Bubba quickly began to break down as he moved back to the side of Marshall, tears in his eyes. He lifted him up best he could in his arms and whispered things, calming things, pure terror in his eyes as he held him. "It's alright Marshall Lee, sweetie, its okay..." He pulled him tight and buried his face in the dark hair, trembling softly. He had made a mistake beyond repair. He had caused Marshall so much pain that he ended his own life. The only reason he knew was because of the dagger, and its origin. The most overwhelming sense of guilt rushed over Gumball as he stroked Marshall's cheek and began to cry. He, this man's only hope, only love, betrayed him. He hurt him to a point beyond repair, and lost him forever because of this. Bubba sobbed as he rocked Marshall. "Oh glob, what have I done!? I'm so sorry Marshall! I'm sorry! Bring him back! Somebody please give him back to me! I'll never ask for anything ever again, just, please!" He screamed, and Lad watched from a distance as Gumball leaned down and kissed Marshall. He looked away, head lowering down. "Please... Please, I love him..." Bubba begged as he hugged him closely, shaking now.

"D-Death! We need to bring him to Death!" Fionna struggled away from Cake and grabbed Gumball's face, making him look at her. "We can ask Death for Marshall's soul back. It's our one and only chance. Pick him up." She ordered and Gumball did, struggling a bit. Marshall was very heavy, and Gumball was certainly not strong. He carried him over to Monochromicorn, then sat with Marshall's body in front, leaning the body back into his torso. Fionna and Cake made the portal as Peppermint Maid had done when they had accidently killed Gumball's precious flowers. They entered the Underworld together and ran straight to Death's fortress, avoiding the flesh hungry skeletons by riding Monochromicorn through the air. Bubba continually rubbed back Marshall's jet black hair and promised his body that he would be okay very soon.

As they burst in, Death turned around to see them and smiled creepily, his head made of bone bending a bit. His head was made of a bull's skull, eyes pits of darkness. He slowly stepped near them as Bubba hopped off Lad and carried Marshall's body to the King of the Underworld. "I have been expecting you, Prince of the Candy Kingdom. What is it you seek?" His voice was horribly frightening, as it seemed to sound from everywhere but his mouth. It was deep and low. Bubba nodded softly as he held Marshall closer to him, trying to protect him.

"I seek to bring back m-my friend, Marshall Lee Abadeer, the King of Vampires and Prince of the Nightosphere." His voice was very different than its typical cheerful and warm quality. It was cold as the ice crystals in his blood and dark.

"Ah, your friend? An awful lot of trouble for only a friend..." Death teased, causing tears to form in Gumball's eyes. He glared up at the creature and his facial features contorted in anger.

"I want my friend back, damn it. Right now." He growled, hair standing on end.

"Ah ah ah! Precious pink prince, it isn't as simple as that! Do you know how often an eternal soul comes through these gates?" He drew Gumball on, testing and toying with him. He easily manipulated him to show his dark side that he hid so very well.

"I don't give a damn. I want Marshall Lee back right now. I want to hear his voice and feel his breath! If you do not do as I say I swear to glob-"

"Speak another word and I turn you away with nothing." Bubba clamped his jaw and tears rushed down his cheeks. "That's better. I propose to you a trade."

"Take me. Take my life instead-"

"Prince, an eternal soul is far more precious than an average candy person's. That will simply not do. I wish to make a treaty between the Nightosphere, and my Underworld. A treaty that will form an alliance between our worlds." Bubba began to open his mouth in agreement, and Fionna squealed.

"NO!" She ran up to him, looking into Bubba's eyes. "If they join forces chaos and hell will combine and take over the entire surface world. Your entire Kingdom, every surface dweller will die or become slaves." Gumball stopped and pulled Marshall closer, closing his eyes and thinking to himself. Fionna blushed and went to hug Cake, afraid. After about a minute of silence Bubba opened his eyes and spoke.

"How about we create a wager of sorts."

"Ah, now you're talking boy. What are the terms?"

"If you win you keep Marshall's eternal soul and get the treaty of peace you desire. If I win, I get Marshall back and you allow all of us home safe and sound."

"That would be a splendid idea. Because you suggested, what is the activity?"

"Ch-chess. A game of chess. One single match, no magic or help may be involved. Only our minds." Death grinned again. He could read minds, easily anticipate Gumball's every move, and beat him out without hardly trying.

"That sounds perfect." A table with two chairs and a chess board appeared, pieces all set to go. He motioned Bubba to sit, and sat on his side.

"You may make the first move. I bid you good luck, you're going to need it."