Prom

Christina's Point of View

I came running - as best I could in a prom dress - down the stairs quickly. I had told myself that I wouldn't take too long getting ready. I had told myself that I would be ready when Bobby got here, and look at me now. I'm sprinting in a fancy dress down my stairs because Bobby is here and I'm not completely ready.

"Hey," I said as I made my way out the door.

"Hey," he responded. He seemed kind of nervous.

"Sorry you had to wait at the door. I wasn't completely ready. Just, uh, finishing touches."

"It's fine," he said. "You're here now."

I nodded and smiled at him and he leaned down to kiss me, but I pulled away slightly.

"Not in front of my family," I said. "I don't think they can handle that yet. Especially not Mark."

Bobby sighed. "They're out in the yard. And we've been dating for two years now, you'd think they could deal with it?"

I leaned over and pecked his lips quickly.

"That's it, though," I said.

"For the rest of the night?"

I nodded.

"Yeah, we'll see about that," he responded with a smile.

He knew one peck on the lips wasn't all he'd get tonight, but I was hoping he didn't think he'd get much more. I wasn't ready to do anything like that. I decided long ago that I was waiting until marriage, and he was out of luck if he even thought he'd make it to second base tonight.

"Christina," he said in a singsong voice, breaking me from my thoughts.

"Hmm?"

"I asked if you were ready for pictures," he said.

"Yes," I replied quickly, looking up at him with a smile. "We better get going."

- - -

After just a few pictures at my house, and a bunch of pictures at Lauren's, we made our way to the school for Grand March. And once I luckily did not fall at Grand March, we went out to eat at Olive Garden.

A lot of people went in groups, but Lauren and her boyfriend agreed with Bobby and me that we should each go separately, and meet up at the dance. I thought that was a good idea, considering I hadn't really spent any time alone with Bobby for all of prom.

Bobby didn't fail to make me laugh every five minutes or so, and I was sure I blushed way too many times throughout dinner. All of that just made supper better, though, and I was ready to dance by the time we made it back in his car.

"So, you're not gonna be embarrassed when I start dancing, are you?" I asked as we made our way to the hotel for the dance.

Bobby reached over for my hand.

"No, I'm fully prepared for any embarrassing moves you have on you," he said with a smile. "I wouldn't have asked you to prom if I didn't want to be entertained."

"Oh I'm glad that's why you asked me," I responded with a laugh.

"I mean, it's also because I love you, but...." his voice trailed off.

"What?" I asked, my grip on his hand tightening.

"I love you so much, Christina. You don't have to say it back. You don't have to feel it back. I just want you to know that I really, really do."

I glanced out the window, then back up at Bobby. He glanced at me for a moment, a smile on his face, before he turned back to the road.

"I love you too," I said softly. A grin made its way across my face, and I felt like I was glowing.

We were in love.

"That's relieving," Bobby said, lifting my hand and kissing it softly. "I know I said you didn't have to say it back, but I was really hoping you would."

I nodded. "I do. I love you."

It's all I could say as I looked at him. I couldn't believe it'd taken two years for us to finally admit this, but it felt so good now.

"And I love you too," he said with a smile. "And we need to dance now, will you be ready?"

Sure enough, we'd arrived at the hotel and it was back to the real world.

A good version of the real world, though, with music and dancing and lights and beautiful dresses. A version where I was in love and wasn't afraid to admit it.

I looked at Bobby and nodded. "The real question, Mr. Plizak, is if you're ready to dance."

"Baby, I was born ready," he said with a grin and leaned over to kiss me.

"I love you," he reminded me as I got out of the car.

"And I love you too," I said happily.

We made our way to the doors and gave them our tickets, making our way into the dance.

I liked this version of the real world.