Someday

Bobby's Point of View

"Hey!" Christina called as she entered the house.

Crap, I thought to myself, I completely forgot to call her.

"Oh, wow," she said, looking at me as I held the six month old baby. "Um do you have something to tell me?"

"Sorry I forgot to call and cancel. The neighbors really needed a babysitter and my mom volunteered me and I couldn't really leave them hanging. You can go back home if you want to," I said, standing up.

"I don't have to go so soon," Christina said, walking up to me and Elizabeth.

She put her finger out, and Elizabeth wrapped her hand around it, holding it tightly.

"She likes you," I said, looking up. "You like babies?"

"Yeah, I mean, I haven't ever had to take care of one by myself. I can't believe you're doing this. But, yeah, they're adorable. Until they poop their pants. Or cry all night. I still love them, though," she said with a laugh.

"If you aren't leaving you could help me," I said. "But you don't have to. I know you were expecting to watch a movie or go out somewhere."

"Nah, this is great," she said, looking down at the baby with bright eyes.

"You want to hold her?"

Christina shook her head. "It's fine."

"You should hold her," I stated, looking back at the baby.

"Fine," Christina gave in, sitting on the couch.

I handed her the baby and she looked down at it with a smile.

"What's her name?"

"Elizabeth," I answered, watching the two with a smile spread over my face. This was adorable.

"She's so cute," Christina said, her finger moving up to lightly trace circles on her chubby baby cheeks.

"Yeah, until she poops her pants or cries," I said, quoting Christina.

"Yeah that'll be your department. I know, like, nothing about taking care of babies."

"Well I don't either," I responded. "But two is better than one."

---

"And she definitely pooped in her diaper," I announced, holding the baby away from my body and carrying her to the small blanket Christina laid down in the living room.

Elizabeth looked at me for a moment, then her face crumpled and she started crying.

"Aaaand now she's crying," I stated.

"This is the area of expertise for you," Christina said.

"Um, neither of us have an area of expertise here," I replied. "Come help me!"

She came over, looking down at the crying baby.

"We need to fix it," Christina said.

"Let's do it."

Our attempt at fixing it was terrible. We got poop on the blanket, we couldn't figure out how to get the diaper on and get it to stay (and when we finally did, we had it on backwards), and we didn't know the correct way to dispose of a diaper full of poop. This was a mess, to say the least.

I threw the diapers and dirty wipes in the trash as Christina put the blanket in the wash. Elizabeth had been laid in the Pack-N-Play that my mom had set up. Where she got it? No idea.

The baby was still crying, but that's what they do before they finally sleep, right? It was time for her to take a nap anyway.

When Elizabeth was asleep, roughly fifteen minutes later, Christina sat next to me on the couch. We watched some TV, my arm wrapped around her to keep her close to me.

"Sorry about the baby," I said. "I really should've called you."

"No, this has been fun!"

"Fun?" I asked with a laugh.

"It could've been worse," she replied.

"I wish one of us would've known what we were doing."

"Yeah, that definitely would've made it easier."

"But you had fun?" I asked, looking down at her. "For real."

She nodded, smiling. "It was fun."

"Good," I said. "I guess I had fun too, to be honest."

There was a pause. Then I found the courage to say what I'd been waiting to ask.

"So, do you want kids someday?"

It was like she froze in place.

"Um..."

"I mean..... not now, just someday?"

"Uh. . . yeah. Someday. I want two boys, but a girl would be nice, too," she answered. "What about you?"

"I'd love to have kids someday," I replied.

"But not now," she stated, as if to clarify.

"Not now," I repeated. "But someday."