Chapter Twenty-One

Start from the beginning

“Daisy…” Boyd whispered in a breath that may not have been heard by human ears.

“Yes?” She replied.

“Can I trust you?” He asked, neither one of them opening their eyes.

“Why would you ask me that?” She said softly, no accusations in her tone, just a questioning curiosity.

Boyd lifted his hand to stroke the side of her face. “Because I want to trust you.”

“You can trust me.” She breathed against his lips.

“I hope so.” He whispered, pressing their lips together one more time.

While he did hope he could trust Daisy he knew he couldn’t tell her of his pack’s plans, despite how much he was beginning to care for her. With too many things to think about he just let himself switch off, enjoying one instant to revel in the freedom of the moment.

“So why are you leaving us?” Erica said as she sat down next to Stiles for lunch.

“I’m not – wait, what are you talking about? Are you crazy?” He said, looking at her like she’d just shaved her head.

“Derek’s worried you’re going to move away and leave us when you go to college.” She said, picking at the fries on her lunch tray.

“He said that?” Stiles asked with his eyebrows raised.

She shook her head. “No, but every time someone mentioned college last night I could practically hear his teeth grinding. Are you moving or something?”

“Oh my god, my dad gave me some college books to look through – which I haven’t even done seriously yet – and you guys already assume I’ve lined up a spot for some place a thousand miles away.” He grumbled.

He hadn’t even thought about it yet and it seemed like everyone was on his back about it.

“Alright, geez. I just thought I’d ask. Everyone’s a little sketchy about life after high school.” She said with a roll of her eyes and Stiles could tell that she wasn’t just asking for Derek’s sake.

“Not me.” Lydia said as she sat down with her home packed lunch.

“Oh yeah and where are you going princess?” Erica asked.

Lydia gave her a self-important smile. “Harvard.” She said with a flutter of her eyelashes.

Erica scoffed. “Right, I forgot you were some kind of genius.”

“The best kind.” She said.

“Which is?”