Chapter 2

"Look at that! Her horns are disappearing! And I think that's her tail, it's almost gone!" The fourth girl said.

She must have been talking about me because none of the humans had any visible horns or a tail anywhere on them. I assumed various parts of me were disappearing because, simply put, demons can't be in their natural form in other worlds. But that's not what astounded me, what really interested me was her voice. It was my voice! She had the voice I've heard since birth!

"What do we do with her? She's here and I don't think she can get back. Look, the portal already closed," one of the other humans said.

"Well crud. I didn't think this would actually work, and I definitely didn't think a portal would close right after just dumping her here," my human said, "we have to take care of her."

At this point, I jolted up. No self respecting demon would let creatures she had been taught were evil nightmares take care of her. I needed to get away, I had to get away, I didn't know what they were capable of and I didn't know what secret powers they wanted to use on me. But, I needed my human who had the voice that's been in my head since birth. So I did the only logical thing one could do in this situation. I grabbed her and flew away. Correction, tried to fly away. I'd forgotten that my wings had disappeared. Cursed human world. If I couldn't fly, then I'd have to flash out.

We reappeared in a grove of trees that looked extremely similar to my forest. She looked wobbly and weak, so I picked her up before she could fall. I held her and we sat there for a few minutes. I had too much to think about, so I completely ignored how much I liked having her with me, and how I absolutely loved holding her. I threw around ideas and plans in my head while she got her bearings.

"Right, the only reason I'm not freaking out at you is because I'm sure you're super confused and you deserve an explanation. But after that, you had better take me back to where we are," my tiny human told me.

I nodded to let her know that she should continue because I had questions that I wanted answers to.

"First off, my name is Amber, and my friends are Luke, Jack, and Annaliese. Second, I want you to know that I'm really sorry. I know we brought you here but I'm not sure how to get you back. We were just messing around, we didn't think anything we did would actually work. A few days ago, we found this book in my basement. It seemed like a joke. It had potions and spells and a whole bunch of other impossible things. We decided to play around and try the 'summoning a demon' spell. I know it's stupid, but we thought it wasn't real. You being here proves that it is, even if you don't look particularly demonish," my human, Amber, said.

That didn't explain what I wanted to know. It doesn't matter how I got here, I know I can get back. If the stories of humans are true, then the talk about portals in the human world must also be true. What I want to know about is her, her and her voice, and why I've heard her for so long. Although as confused as I am, it's impolite for me to know her name and her not knowing mine. Momma didn't raise a rude child.

"I'm Ruby, and I've heard your voice in my head for as long as I can remember. It was your voice that told me to go to the willow at night and I'd like to know why," I said, watching her eyes get huge.

"Wow. That's so weird! I honestly have no idea why you'd be hearing my voice. I only recently found the book and I know there was nothing in that spell about hearing voices," Amber said. I didn't really believe her, she looked like she was trying too hard to be innocent. But her eyes completely distracted me, and I didn't push at it the way I should have.

Wonderful. So the most confusing part of this was going to go unanswered.

"So do you think you could take us back to the cemetery now? I don't want my friends to worry," she said, apparently only just then realizing that she was in my lap.

If I'm being honest, I didn't want to take her back. I liked it being just the two of us, but it would be mean to keep her here unwillingly. So I flashed us back, and got to witness her friends acting like idiots, and absolutely freaking out.

They were running around the cemetery screaming for Amber and bumping over tombstones and into each other. It was hilarious, even Amber started laughing with me. When they heard us, they calmed way down and practically mobbed her. One in particular seemed a little too interested in her. I got a weird vibe coming from Jack, not really a good one.