Chapter 24

Logical reader: But wait, Vikk has an endersoul hand or whatever right? Why didn't he just use it to teleport Preston back to the shelter?

Me: Cuz uh... He can't teleport that far?

Logical reader: Then why didn't he just levitate some blocks and put them over Pre-

Me: SHHH. *whispers* Because #plot that's why *vanishes into the shadows*

Warnings: None

     ~Lachlan's P.O.V.~

     "We should almost have enough food now. Let's each grab another couple pieces of meat and meet back here."
     "Preston, we already have about twenty pieces of meat each. You really think need more?" Mitch snickers with a tiny smirk.
     "...Just to be safe." Preston adds in with a sheepish smile.
     "Well I'm not complaining. You guys have been cooking every single piece of meat we get." Jerome states with distaste. "I don't know how you guys could eat that nasty stuff when raw is obviously the better choice. It saves resources too."
     "Jerome you're actually disgusting." I comment while Preston pretends to gag and Vikk chuckles lightly.
     "Just don't go too far guys. We're lost as it is, losing someone probably isn't the greatest idea." Rob warns, everyone voicing their agreement before splitting up.

I spend a good fifteen minutes searching, the gentle rock of Sandstorms paces bringing me into a relaxed state. But after another five minutes or so, relaxation every so slowly dissipates into frustration. Yanking hastily on Sandstorms reins, to which he lets out a displeased snort, I scan the area. I huff not seeing a single mob roaming in the grassy Savannah, not even a chicken.

"An entire Savannah biome, filled with animals, and now when I actually need them... I can't find any. Sick." I grumble, kicking Sandstorm forwards again.

     Although the next small hill I round, and my small I mean small mountain, I perk up with delight. There, about fifty blocks away, is a plump pig meandering in the field. I slow Sandstorm to a stop, and silently slide off his back, drawing my swords as my feet make contact with the ground. You're mine piggy. I think, slowly creeping forward.

     "Wait why am I even trying to sneak up on it? It won't run unless I actually hit it first..." I realize, gawking at my own stupidity.

     Opposed to my previous crouch, I regain my normal posture and casually stroll towards the animal.

     Now noticing me for the first time, the pig raises its head from nibbling on the grass to stare at me. It quickly glances at the swords oblivious to their potential, oinks harmlessly, and continues grazing. With slight pity, I slash at the pig. Unfortunately, the blow does not do enough damage to kill it so instead, the pig flashes red briefly before squealing and bolting away.

     "OI GET BACK HERE PIG." I shout, charging after it as it makes a bee line for the snow biome ahead.

     Due to the stubby legs the pig runs on, it only takes seconds for me to catch up and deal the final hit. The pig puffs away in a cloud of smoke, two raw pork-chops appearing in its place. I stoop down and gather them up, adding them to the collection of meat stashed away in my inventory. I turn to leave, but stop dead in my tracks as a small tingling surfaces in my brain.

     "Huh?"

     I spin back around, taking a few curious steps forward, back towards the snow biome. As I had half expected, the strange sensation grows ever so slightly stronger. Oh fudge, my mutant is nearby. But are we ready to face another one yet? Gazing off into the snowy land, my eyes subconsciously trace the rolling hills, watching for some kinda of mutant mob. I blink back to reality, bounty realizing I had let myself slip into a short daze. Shaking my head I recollect myself, starting back to Sandstorm who is now lazing in the tall grass.

"Up ya go, we've got some news to deliver." I direct the horse, hefting myself onto the saddle.

With a quick snap of the reins, Sandstorm is trotting back towards our meeting place.

~~~

     "Lachlan! What took you so long? We were starting to get worried." Vikk greets.
     "Well Vikk, I'll tell you why I was so long. I fudging traveled for like half an hour and not a single fudging animal spawned. And then when I finally found a pig, it ran away and I had to chase it down. Honestly the most frustrating moment of my week. Oh, and I've gotten the feeling now so uh, yeah there's that too."
     "See? Getting lost turned out to be the right way in the first place." Jerome points out smugly.
     "Can I just say I love how causal that was? Like 'yeah I got the feeling to a mutant that could probably kill one of us but no big deal right?'" Rob chuckles, Lachlan rolling his eyes accordingly.
     "That's not what I said, Rob."
     "You implied it though." He argues.
     "Whatever you say Mr. Know it all." Lachlan mocks, throwing his hands in the air.
     "Nah man that's Preston." Mitch butts in.
     "HEY. Rude."
     "ANYWAYS..." Vikk cuts in before the bickering can escalate, "What biome do you think it's in?"
     "I'm almost one hundred precent sure we're heading to the snow biome."
     "Aw that's bull shrimp dude. There is NO. WAY. I'm going into a snow biome. I can like... Watch the horses or something."
     "As much as I want to force you to come with us... I guess that'd technically kill you... wouldn't it?" I state, glancing sadly at the stone scars covering Preston's entire face. Preston nods silently.

     Last night when Vikk, Preston, and Rob had charged towards the shelter, in the middle of a downpour, I was not only confused but frightened. Then Rob had screamed at me to open the door at the top of his lungs... So I did and immediately dove out of the way. If I stood there another second Preston would have plowed right into me. And then later when I saw what had happened to Preston... Realizing he could have died, it kinda put me off for the rest of the night. And now the scars on his face are a constant reminder of the night he came this 👌🏻 close to dying.

After a moment Jerome awkwardly clears his throat. "I guess we should go. The days getting away on us."

Everyone mumbles something along the lines of 'yeah' and we all mount our horses, setting off towards the snow biome.

~~~