Chapter 1

Melanie’s POV

My name is Melanie. Melanie Davis. I play softball and I love to sing. I have uploaded videos of myself on youtube, but they don’t really get noticed, and I’m fine with that. I have almost 1,000 subscribers. I upload videos of whatever song I feel like singing that day. I can’t play any instruments, but I used to play piano. 

It is currently the middle of my junior year of high school. I am 17 years old, and my birthday is on October 18th. 

“Hey Mel” my best friend Sarah said. We had been best friends for 10 years now, since I had moved to Ohio.

“Hey gurl hey” I said smiling. 

“So, did your parents answer?” She asked. I had asked my parents if we could go to England to study over the summer. They gave me an answer, but I didn’t want to tell her. 

“Yeah, they did” I sighed. “THEY SAID YES!!!!” We were so excited to go to England. That is actually number two on my bucket list. Number one is meet One Direction, but I gave up on that hope about a year and a half ago. We started jumping around the hallway, which was entirely empty now that the day was over. I gave her a ride home, picked up my sister Erin, and we went home. Our parents hadn’t arrived yet, so we just started working on our homework. 

“I’m going to the bank then the mall Erin, see you in a bit!” I yelled to her, walking out the door. 

“Wait, take me with you. You’ll need a second opinion!!!” She yelled back. 

I drove to the bank, got some money, and headed to the mall. “You’ll need some new clothes if you’re going to England for 4 months without me” She smirked. I didn’t reply, just rolled my eyes. We walked into Deb for some new tank tops and shorts, then to random stores. I ended up carrying 10 bags, Erin carrying 6. Yeah, I bought a lot of clothes. I had managed to save about $6,000 from working last summer. The first thing I bought were tickets to a One Direction concert for Sarah and I. 

We got home, and smelled dinner cooking. “Hi Mom!” We both yelled. 

“Hi girls!” She had also let our dogs out of the basement. We have 3 golden retrievers, and one saint bernard. 

“When will dad get home?” Erin asked. 

“In about 20 minutes.” Mom answered.

“Hey mom, I’m gonna go record something.” I ran up the stairs, and into my room. I picked out the song I was feeling like singing today, and clicked record. 

Look at this photograph

Every time I do it makes me laugh

How did our eyes get so red?

And what the hell is on Joey's head?

And this is where I grew up

I think the present owner fixed it up

I never knew we'd ever went without

The second floor is hard for sneaking out

And this is where I went to school

Most of the time had better things to do

Criminal record says I broke in twice

I must have done it half a dozen times

I wonder if it's too late

Should I go back and try to graduate?

Life's better now than it was back then