Chapter Thirty Seven

Early Christmas Gifts

~Arden Diggory~

"I'll look into it Miss Oxton, I appreciate your input." Professor McGonagall said dryly. Lena smiled at her as she left her office.  

Ever since Lena's heroism when she saved me from an endless nightmare of drama, I've been spending a lot more time with her. As much as she is lovely company, she's gotten so used to me being with her that she's a lot more... clingy.

She can't even speak to a teacher without me waiting outside the office for her, and she even has me walk her back to the Hufflepuff common room most nights. I understand that she's got few friends, but I wish she'd try and make them on her own instead of waiting for people to come to her.

"What did you want her for again?" I asked. 

"I just wanted to talk about how Umbridge is completely nuts." She began. "How she doesn't acknowledge opinions, and how her way of teaching is stupid!"

"To be fair, we have the D.A now." I mumbled, making sure no one heard our conversation. "We've been learning a lot on our own-"

"After what happened the other day, I don't think I want to be in the same room as Harry." Lena interrupted. 

It was strange to see how quickly her mind changed about people. Lena had been Harry Potter obsessed for who knows how long, admiring his work and the fact that he's the boy who lived. After he tried to kiss me, she avoids looking at him.

"Well that's going to be a bit hard, are you staying at Hogwarts over Christmas?" I asked.

Lena shook her head. "No, but when I get back I sure as hell won't want to talk to him."

"So does that mean you're quitting the D.A?"

Lena shrugged. "Beats me, I've already learnt a lot. I don't think I need him to give me any more fake advice for casting spells, I think I can handle it." 

The two of us caught our breath from running down the steps and walked into the great hall. The hall was missing many students, since some were leaving early for the Christmas break. 

Draco lit up as he motioned for me to sit with him at the Slytherin table. I held up 5 fingers, telling him I'd be with him in 5 minutes.

Lena and I sat across each other at the Hufflepuff table. From the amount of nights I've sat here, I'm surprised that some of the students still shiver with fear or glare at me when I sit at the table. I remember one night I had to hiss like a cat at a second year for telling me to go away. I shouldn't admit it, but it was pretty hilarious when he started crying over such a tiny gesture.

"She didn't even care about what I had to say though." Lena huffed, whilst pulling out her quill and parchment. "Like, she just sat there, nodding her head like 'uh huh, yeah, I don't care sweetie.'" She said, trying to do McGonagall's Scottish accent. Lena sighed. "I guess I'll just have to tell dad, I'm sure he'll do something."

"What can your father do?" I asked. "The Ministry has no power over Hogwarts, Dumbledore's made sure of that."

Lena shrugged. "He knows Dumbledore. I'm sure the two can work something out."

-

"So you're saying... she hit him down there?" Draco asked excitedly. His entire expression was like an excited young child, occasionally jumping up and down in his seat upon me talking about Harry's unfortunate event with me. "In the nuts?"