Chapter Four

Avada Kedavra - Kills opponent

~Arden Diggory~

An acquaintance is someone you talk to, Draco Malfoy has done everything but that. Not only have I heard him whisper about me to his followers Crabbe and Goyle, I've had to endure his odd stares, which I still don't understand why he does. 

I've decided to give up on him. I'd much rather him only talk to me when it comes to classes or whisper about me, than have him taunt me to my face. It just made everything easier.

Today I had my first Defence Against the Dark Arts class, which I usually look forward to except for today. The man who stopped the bewitched ceiling from continuing on it's harmless storm was Alastor Moody. Surprisingly, I've not heard his name before Draco told me the night he arrived. I asked Cedric who he was on the way to class this morning, he looked at me like I was insane.

"You don't know Alastor Moody?" He asked. I shook my head. He pondered for a moment. "Hmm, I would've thought father would have mentioned him. Shocking that he hasn't. Moody's an auror."

"That's a dark wizard catcher, right?" I asked.

"Precisely."

When I arrived to class, I noticed I was later than others. I was technically on time, since Professor Moody wasn't in class, but most other students already arrived. I saw the seat next to Hermione was taken. I looked at her and she mouthed 'Sorry' and gave me a pitiful smile. Harry and Ron were sitting at a desk together, so no chance there. The only spots available were seats next to Pansy Parkinson or Draco. 

Of course such a thing would have to happen to me. Just my luck isn't it? How typical is it to plan to not talk to someone, then have to sit next to them next time you go to class. I could always sit next to Pansy Pug-kinson, but who could endure such annoying whining noises every two seconds? It's strange that they aren't sitting at the same desk too, since Pansy is almost always clinging onto Draco.

I walked up to Draco and looked at the spare seat.

"Are you saving this for anyone?" I asked.

"Why can't you sit somewhere else?" He said coldly.

"Well the only available seat is next to Pansy..." I muttered, making sure she couldn't hear me. Draco looked behind him. Pansy was sitting in the middle of the desk meant for two people. She was gripping onto her quill so tightly her knuckles were white. She was glaring at the both of us. Draco turned back around and sighed.

"Alright, you can sit here." He sighed in defeat. I placed my book bag under the desk and sat next to Draco. All the other students were talking about who knows what. Draco and I sat in awkward silence. "Diggory." Draco said, asking for my attention.

"Yes?"

"Why do you call me Draco?" He asked. Why don't you call me by my first name? I thought.

"Because that's your name, isn't it?" I said, poking my tongue out afterwards. Draco rolled his eyes.

"Hilarious." He said sarcastically. "I mean, everyone calls me Malfoy. You're the only one who calls me Draco. Why?" 

"Am I supposed to call you by your surname? If it bothers you I can..." I said.

"No, it doesn't bother me at all. I was just curious." Draco rested his head on the desk and sighed. I looked around the room and spotted Harry folding something. Ron giggled at whatever he folded and pulled out his wand.