Letter 12

Stella,

I knew it wouldn't be easy leaving you in that rundown apartment but I didn't think it would kill me as badly as it did. I guess that's why I didn't call. I think I mentioned that before. That I didn't call because I was trying to figure everything out. I was trying to adjust.

It's such a crap excuse but it's the only truth I have.

We wasted so much time fighting with each other. Three months of fighting and not speaking and wasting time.

Today we went to the recording studio for the first time and it was like watching the opening credits to the rest to the rest of our lives. It was incredible.

You were smiling as you watched us. You laughed when we screwed up and joked around. The way your face lit up when we listened back to your song. It was one of the best days of my life.

I can't believe we almost lost it. We almost gave up on all of this. And I know we have so much left to figure out. We have to learn to trust each other again because I know you're still unsure.

Do you remember when we used to search for songs that would become the new "favorite song" even though our lists of favorite songs could go on for pages and pages.

I used to love when you'd find a song and you'd say, "I got it this time," and you sit me down on the couch, ask me in a very serious tone, "you ready?" and then press play.

You would bounce up and down in your seat waiting and watching my reaction. And I'd watch you because I could see how I was reacting by how you were reacting to me.

I want that back. I want to know each other like that again to be able to understand how we feel without words. And I think we can get there again.

I'm willing to work at this for as long as it takes.

Also I found a song. I'll play it for you now.

I love you,

Rory.