Regrets

Chapter 9- Regrets

I watched as Calley ran the opposite direction kicking up dust the faster she ran. The moon was a magnificent crescent shape, the stars illuminated the night sky with such mystery and all I could think about in that time and in that moment, was Annette. With all that has been going on I still had not found time to grieve for her death. I felt my chest tighten at the thought of Annette and I looking up at the stars not long ago, enjoying one another's company as we looked at the mysterious stars together. A lone tear slid down my cheek and traveled down the path of my throat to soak into the furs I was wearing.

My emotions began to get overwhelming. Sadness, grief, despair, misery. All emotions were building up deep within my soul and I let them. I let them hoping maybe they would crush me and take away the emotional pain that haunted my thoughts. My soul was blackened and encrusted with the guilt of what I have done. I not only killed my entire village and was also responsible for the death of another entire village, but I was feeling the guilt and pain from the death of my mother and Annette.

Regret hit me hard enough that it took my breath away. If I never turned Calley this would not have happened to these poor villagers, and those who will come into contact with her in the future. I should have let her die peacefully, instead I became selfish in wanting to keep her with me, a part of my mother that could never die, and in doing so... I made her into a monster, a demon. That's what we are. We are demons in my eyes, we suck the blood — the life out of anyone we wish. The hunger takes control over our thoughts, our entire mind is riddled with thoughts and images of blood and death, and if we give control to the hunger... we give control over to the demon inhabiting our body. I turned my sister into a demon in hopes that I'd have at least one family member that I love with me, and now, now I will take the life of immortality I gave her back.

***

2014- Unknown

I gathered all the vampiric men and women that I knew would rebel against Caen Tomes and set into motion a plan to have him assassinated. I looked around the abandoned warehouse at the fifty odd numbered vampires all eagerly awaiting for their orders from me. Ninety percent of the vampires that stood before me had their own agenda for wanting Caen dead and that agenda was mostly about power.

I wanted him dead for a completely different reason. I've lived too long, I've watched many of my kind slaughtered, tortured, and enslaved, as well as the human race. Our kind took humans in secret, fed on them, beat them, used them for our wildest fantasies and then bled them dry and burned their bodies like trash. I was once human a long time ago; now I am nothing but a mere puppet for Caen to use when he so wishes. I will no longer adhere to his orders. I will not be his puppet any longer. Someone needs to kill him and who better than the one he trusts to have his back.

I wouldn't wish this disease on anybody — not even my worst enemy. Your time is running out, Caen. The rebellion will rise in number and soon, another will take your place. She will be our Queen at last.

***

Caen

A whole week has went by and still my search for Calley has came up empty. I pray that she stays out of my sight until the day I find a way to die. I know you can only travel the world so many times before you start to feel the soul sucking loneliness and eventually you miss your sister or brother, they creep into your thoughts like a sin. It's only been a week and I miss my sister dearly, but I must go on, I must push forward and continue to search for her. I fear that if she is not found quickly and dispatched of many more people will die by her hands.