The Truth is Out There

Chapter 6- The Truth is Out There

I looked at my little sister with pain etching my features. The color of her skin was no longer pink, but instead it held a gray hue, like death... even more pale than I currently was and her eyes were an inky black whereas mine... well, I couldn't say for sure. I grazed my index finger across the top of her arm and observed that it wasn't hardened like mine, hers was a little rough but still held the softness of a woman, of a human — her skin also emanated cold like the freezing winter snow.

It wasn't long after that she finally came to, sat up, and looked at me in confusion. Then, like a moth to a flame, I saw everything click into place. Her eyes went wide and before she could speak, I saw every mental picture she currently had soaring through her mind. I saw her running away from the village with our mother, and I saw from her eyes (as if I were her) as she looked behind her to her brother as he tore through villager after villager. I was the cause of the entire village being nothing but a place of death. I leapt on their bodies like a panther leapt on its prey. I drained them dry and tossed them aside like garbage.

I watched in horror as I took down both my mother and sister, and ultimately, I saw through my sisters eyes as I leapt onto Annette attacking her like cattle. The fear in each of their eyes was so clear, it was so undeniably strong. After I had drained every last person that lived in my village, I watched myself through my sisters closing eyes as I walked back to our home where I assumed I laid down and went to sleep because that's exactly where I woke up. I was a murderer, and not just any murderer, I was a mass murderer. I killed over one hundred people including my own mother.

How could I have done such a thing? How could I do such a thing with no memory of it? How will I ever be able to live with myself after knowing what I have done to all those poor souls?

I didn't know, and the more I thought about it the more I came to the realization that I couldn't live knowing I killed all those families. Mothers and wives, husbands and fathers... even... I swallowed and shuddered at my next thought.

Children.

I looked at my sister and it was like she could hear what I was thinking, in fact, I could hear every word that she was thinking.

"Don't be foolish, brother. There is nothing you can do now."

"I killed all of those people! You cannot sit there and try to imagine what I am battling inside of me right now because you have not killed one single person — nor do you want to! It's the most painful, gut wrenching feeling I've ever felt in my life. So don't try to make everything feel better by saying "there is nothing I can do now."

"You're right. I cannot imagine the pain you're suffering right now, but I do know it will get better. I know you didn't know what you were doing, Caen, I could see your eyes were not your own, it was like you were possessed by something."

That momentarily caught my attention. "What do you mean my eyes were not my own? What did they look like?"

"They were a bright green until you drank blood on top of blood on top of blood, then they were the color of rubies and your irises were rimmed with a thin line of green." She was quiet a minute before she continued, "What has happened to you — to us, Caen?"

"We are no longer human, Calley."

I heard her soft gasp and I knew then that she had no idea what she had just went through other than her dying by my hands. She has no clue I brought her back to life, but not as a human, as an immortal. I stood to my feet and went to the cupboard and grabbed a silver cup, one that I knew would show a reflection and went back to her and crouched down to her level. I raised the silver cup in front of her face and carefully watched her as she took it into her palms with a confused expression.