Chapter 9, part 1

Start from the beginning

"I thought I'd catch you when you got home. I didn't mean to freak you out."

She shook her head and stepped towards him, then around him, unlocking her front door. "You're going to have to give me time for my blood pressure to return to normal." She leaned against the doorframe just inside the stairwell. "You know, for a genius you are unbelievably clueless sometimes."

"I'm sorry, okay, I really am! And I know how to make it up to you."

He took a step in her direction, but she stopped him with her hand to his chest. "Maybe not tonight, Ryker. I've had a long day. I just want to go to bed, and not in the way you're thinking. I'm tired."

"That's not why I'm here. I'm not..." He couldn't exactly say that he wanted to prove he wasn't here for sex when their agreement specified that that was the only reason he was supposed to be interested in her. He'd have to work this out carefully. "You don't have any power, you know."

For the first time, Emmie took note of the darkened state of her building. She flipped on the light in the stairwell. Nothing happened. "Dammit. We saw that the streetlights were all out on the way over here. I guess I was hoping my apartment wouldn't be affected. This means I won't have any heat."

"It's been out about a half hour or so. The whole neighborhood is affected. Maybe the whole town."

"The medical center had power."

"They may have been running on a generator."

"Well, this is even more reason for you not to come up. It's dark and cold. I can't cook anything and I don't see you hiding any pizza boxes, so... I'm just going to get under the covers and hope the power's back on in the morning so I can take a hot shower."

"Come to my place."

"What?" She laughed. "You've never suggested that before."

"Well, I am now. My house will still have power. You can take a shower there. I'll cook you dinner. And you won't freeze."

"Well..."

"Don't overthink this, Emmie. It's only fair after all the time I've spent here that you get to spend a night at my place. And I'm not asking for anything in exchange."

She lowered her hand from his chest. "I don't know."

"What if I told you I have an UMA prototype there. You can ask it questions, see how it operates."

"Really?" That had her. A bit troubling that she appeared to be more interested in his robots than she was in him, but...

"I've got several lying around, actually. All one of a kind."
Her eyes lit up. "I'd love to see them."

"Does that mean you'll come?"

"Well... okay. I suppose talking to a robot is better than going to bed hungry in a cold, dark house. I'll go... but only on one condition."

Red flag, red flag, red flag. "What's that?"

"That open mind you're currently entertaining? Keep it."

"I have no idea what you're talking about, but if it means you'll be my house guest tonight, then I accept your terms." He lowered that red flag of his, the one that told him he may regret agreeing to this as much as he regretted trying to adhere to her entanglement clause. Grabbing her hand, he pulled gently until they'd both taken a step away from her door. "Ready to get out of this rain?"

A/N: Ryker has confirmed what many of you suspected--he's got major feels for Emmie

A/N: Ryker has confirmed what many of you suspected--he's got major feels for Emmie. He's ready to open his calloused heart for her. And she's indicated that he should keep an open mind about... something. We all know what that something is going to be, but Ryker doesn't have a clue. Eek! 

Thank you for reading/voting/commenting. YOU ARE AWESOME! Votes for this update go to buy Ryker some heart duct tape (Ha--see what I did there?). I hope he doesn't need it, but we should have some on hand, just in case.

Today's dedication is for the wonderful talkingflowers. You guys, have you read her work? No? Then DO IT! Her fantasy story, THE GROVE, was featured, and for good reason. It's seriously one of the most original works I've read on Wattpad. Go give her some love. She deserves it!