Chapter 6

MATTHEW POV

I tried to comfort Maddie but it wasn't working. I felt bad I was standing there helpless.

I'm just happy my parents made it out alive. But I'm sad that Mrs. Perkins didn't make it out alive she was like a second mom to me.

MADDIE POV

I could tell Matthew felt bad for me and I knew he was sad. I could just tell.

But I'm happy I have my second family still alive.

I sit down in the chair and say a prayer for my mom.

I then fall asleep.

I wake up and I'm in an u comfortable position. I look around to see I was in a chair.

My face had dried tears on it and my eyes felt puffy. I then remember the tragic event that happened.

My phone kept going off. I look at it and it was my brother.

He says he was at the caution zone at the scene. I tell Matthew and I start walking to the area.

15 minutes later I'm walking past my school.

I walk faster and then Start to jog. I'm still in my soccer uniform.

I turn the corner and stop where the caution tape was.

People were still there.

I find my brother and run up and hug him.

H was super tall so I had to jump.

He catches me and I feel safe. I feel happy that I know I have something from my family left.

I started to cry again at the thought of family.

My brother hugged me tighter.

"Colton, where am I going to go? because you off at college and you know mom and dad are..." I say with my voice cracking a little but he knew what I meant with the parents.

"I'm not sure. we have to go court about that one and who your guardian will be when our parents die." he said and released the hug.

"Can't I just stay with Matthew? I mean his family is my second family." I say and give my brother a look.

I hold back tears.

"No, well I mean you could... but the court has records that when you were born mom and dad put together who they wanted you to stay with when they past away. so we will have to look at that." my brother says in a matter of fact tone.

My brother and his facts.

"But why? I mean do we even have family left?" I ask in a snobby tone.

"Hey. don't say that. we have each other and maybe a few others that we don't really know of." my brother says.

"Ya but I won't get to be with you because you of at college."

"I know but I will visit where ever you go." my brother says reassuring me.