Chapter 10: The Trip to London

I felt numb as Hagrid explained to Harry and I that our whole life has been a lie up until this point. Everything our Aunt and Uncle have ever told us about ourselves and our parents was false. They had not died in a car crash, like we had been trained to believe.

To make a long story short, our parents were a witch and wizard, who were killed by another wizard named Voldemort (but we aren't supposed to say his name, for whatever reason). Then, he tried to use the Killing Curse on Harry. Why I wasn't chosen first, I don't know. He was probably being sexist, or something like that. Anyway, no one knows why, but when the Curse was used on Harry, it rebounded on You-Know-Who, supposedly killing him. However, Hagrid believes that he is in hiding, but is weak and biding his time.

Harry got the scar on his forehead from that curse. But, the way I got mine on my chest is a little more unusual. Apparently, I had moved myself in front of him in an attempt to shield him. Because of that, despite the fact that the curse was directed at Harry, I still got hit with the force of the spell. My scar is over my heart, because "my love for Harry is what led me to try to protect him," according to Hagrid.

After telling us about our past, the giant then went on to explain the present. He told us that we had been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Then, with a proud look on his face, he handed us our letters. This was something I'd been dreaming of for so long! With shaking hands, I broke the wax seal and pulled out the thick parchment with words written in green ink and perfect handwriting:

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grand Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, International Confed. of Wizards)

Dear Ms. Potter,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment.

Term begins on September 1. We await your owl by no later than July 31.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

Tears welled up in my eyes and as I looked at Harry, I could tell that he was struggling to maintain his composure too. This beautiful moment was shattered however, when Uncle Vernon shouted, "THEY WILL NOT BE GOING!! I won't deny that they are abnormal, there's no doubt about that! But it's nothing that a good beating can't cure!" At that, Harry and I went pale and backed up a few steps, putting Hagrid between us and our Uncle. No one noticed this, however, because he continued yelling.

"As for their parents, well, they deserved what they got for meddling in other people's business and hanging around with other freaks, doing sinful and unnatural things! But I will NOT be tolerating this in my house! And I MOST CERTAINLY WILL NOT PAY FOR SOME CRACKPOT OLD FOOL TO TEACH THEM MAGIC TRICKS!!!"

By the look on Hagrid's face, I could tell that Uncle Vernon went too far. Raising his pink, flowery umbrella, he roared, "HOW DARE YOU INSULT JAMES AND LILY POTTER!!! AND HOW DARE YOU INSULT ALBUS DUMBLEDORE IN FRONT OF ME!!!"

He pointed the umbrella at Dudley and waved it in a circle. Before any of us knew what was happening, Dudley let out a screech and clasped his hands over his fat bottom. Running over to his mum and dad, who were also shouting, Harry and I clearly saw a curly pig's tail sticking out between his fingers. The Dursleys ran into the other bedroom and shut the door, leaving a speechless Harry, and uncomfortable Hagrid, and an open-mouthed me.